Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
god

Share |

sewer smell in bathroom

I sometimes have a sewer smell in my upstairs bathroom. It almost smells like its coming from the bathtub. Sometimes when the toilet is plugged upstairs and I have to plunge it, I can hear it very clearly in the bathtub drain. My drains appear to drain at a normal rate. My roof was redone and the roofer replaced and vent on the roof. As he made the quote he said that was a normnal thing to do. I had the smell in the bathroom before the roofer came so he didn t cause the problem.

Is there any tests I can do to try to narrow the problem down?

My house is 18 years old,yes we have a vent on the roof. I have a drop ceiling in the basement and can access most of the pumping between the floors. I am aware of the S trap and the importantance of pouring water in it
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

sewer smell in bathroom

Your bathtub drain may have had its trap siphoned out (or evaporated)..... how often do you use the shower/tub in there?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #3

sewer smell in bathroom

Quote:
I am aware of the S trap and the importantance of pouring water in it
Well if you truly have an S trap, then that's the reason for the sewer smell. They far too easy to siphon, and with you saying that plunging the toilet and hearing it in the tub means they share the same vent & drain, sounds like the tub is being drained most everytime the toilet is flushed.

Change it to a P trap and that should solve your problem, most likely. Post a pic of what you have and we will be able to help you determine if you truly have an S trap on your tub or not.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
god

sewer smell in bathroom

The tub/shower is used every day. I took some picture from underneath of some of the piping and would be interested in opinions. I did find one solution already but please note I had some of the prblems before my roof was done. I went outside to see where the roof vent lines up and there is a coffee cup in the pipe. I ll get that removed today.

Edit, I guess its a P trap I have actually. The only question I have is the other pipe that cconnects before the P trap that goes to the right. Would it not be possible that a sewer smell comes up that other pipe and bypasses the P trap?

here are the pictures
First picture. You see the tub drain in the middle with the s trap.. Pipe that goes to the left, goes 5 feet then connects to the toilet drain from upstairs, then goes down the side of the wall. The pipe that goes to the right, goes to a T, one part going down the wall to I assume another drain as the piping is in for another shower. The other part of the T goes up to the outside vent mounted on the roof

By god1256 at 2011-10-15

By god1256 at 2011-10-15

This picture below is another view from the first picture. The small pipe that goes down to where a shower has the piping installed. The pipe that goes up to the roof vent. I went in the attic and traced back the roof vent. It connects to three seperate places in my plumbing

By god1256 at 2011-10-15

Last edited by god; 10-16-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

sewer smell in bathroom

They took the vent off the wrong side of the trap. It should come off the horizontal drain - downsteam of the water seal (i.e. - "trap").

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-15-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
god

sewer smell in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
The tub/shower is used every day. I took some picture from underneath of some of the piping and would be interested in opinions. I did find one solution already but please note I had some of the prblems before my roof was done. I went outside to see where the roof vent lines up and there is a coffee cup in the pipe. I ll get that removed today.

Edit, I guess its a P trap I have actually. The only question I have is the other pipe that cconnects before the P trap that goes to the right. Would it not be possible that a sewer smell comes up that other pipe and bypasses the P trap?

here are the pictures
First picture. You see the tub drain in the middle with the s trap.. Pipe that goes to the left, goes 5 feet then connects to the toilet drain from upstairs, then goes down the side of the wall. The pipe that goes to the right, goes to a T, one part going down the wall to I assume another drain as the piping is in for another shower. The other part of the T goes up to the outside vent mounted on the roof

By god1256 at 2011-10-15

By god1256 at 2011-10-15

This picture below is another view from the first picture. The small pipe that goes down to where a shower has the piping installed. The pipe that goes up to the roof vent. I went in the attic and traced back the roof vent. It connects to three seperate places in my plumbing

By god1256 at 2011-10-15
I edited the post with updated info I found. So you say the vent is on the wrong side.. So would the proper way would be to have a T down stream from the trap?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

sewer smell in bathroom

Yes...a tee downstream of the trap. The water seal in that trap is doing nothing right now because you've got a free flow of air from the vent pipe right into an open drain - on the wrong side of the trap.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote