Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

Sewer/overflo/washer/tub/comode backup

Please help, live outta city limits, washer backs up to the outside overflo /sometimes comode and tub. and other day comode backed up to tub and leaked out bot of comode. I been out over 500.00 to 2 diff. plumbers and still not fixed problem. one being roto rooter, they did the camera thing from overflo to sewer and it showed no blockage. Had sewer tank emptied also. Need help pinpoint problem. thanks anybody, i am an old single woman and don't kno nothin abt this stuff, and need help. any suggestions appreciated. and it does it every time i wash but not every time i flush comode. when just flushin comode does it, i clean it up, and wait an hour and everything is fine, ??????????? til next time

westexas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

The washer puts out a lot of water in a short time frame so that's why it's worse.

If the sewer line between the house and the septic tank is clear (and the camera showed it was) then it could be one of two things:
1) the line between the tank and your drain field is blocked with debris. The tank design should prevent this so it is not all that likely.

2) The drain field is undersized or failing so it is saturated and the tank and sewer line are actually full of waste water rather than blocked by debris.

Two plumbers should have been able to figure it out. Obviously you don't want to throw more money their way. Your going to have to somehow track down a good septic system guy. Unfortunately drain field repairs can be pricy.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

that is a tough call, could get expensive if its the leach field. One quick solution, take your laundry to the laundrymat. Wash it there and bring home to dry. This will take a lot of water off your system. Yes its a pain when you are use to doing it at home, but could prevent your toilet from backing up. You could also walk your property to see if you notice any wet areas. I'd try to keep the water useage down as best you can.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #4

THEY ALL SAID CANT BE THE DRAIN FIELD, cause i ask them. and the camera showed from the overflo at the house to the sewer clear
Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #5

I appreciate ya answering, i think drainfield full of roots??????????/ from my little bit of knowledge
Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #6

IT wasnt the money, i just want it fixed, i told fix it, but they didnt come back, they were supposed to call me today and havent yet. How do u clean a drainfield if its roots. Moved in 6 yrs ago, and there were lot of roots in sewer, but already had that done, so no big blog of roots in sewer but maybe in drainfield.????????
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

I'm not sure what is what. Tree roots will clog up a pipe, They should get an idea where its clogging if they used a camera. Did your sewer back up, but the pipe from the house to the tank was clear? You don't want any vegetation growing on top of your leach field except grass. Depending on your lot, even your neighbors tree will come looking for water. I understand your frustration. Sounds like you've had two plumbers and the septic guy out already.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #8

There was an old cotton tree right in line w/ the drain field, i paid 300 to have it taken out and its growin again, i so mad over that, but thats why i figured maybe roots in drain field pipe. is there anything i can put in sewer that will kill the roots and not harm my septic, and pipe.

Thank ya so much for the info. I like knowin what i talkin abt when i have to hire someone, which obviously i didnt in the beginning of this.

A few , not plumbers, have suggested putting boric acid in the tank ???????????? what ya's take on this. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #9

If that trees growing again get some Ortho Brush-B-Gone and kill it. That will stop it's roots from continuing to grow but won't unclog anything that's clogged. There are chemicals that you can put down the drain to control root growth but I doubt they are cost effective (you have to keep treating forever) and with a drain field they could end up eventually percolating through the ground to your well if you have one.

If they say it's not the drainfield and it's not clogged pipes then I guess there's no problem. But we know that's not the case so they are missing something. Next time iot backs up can you check the height of the water in the septic tank. If it's above the inlet pipe then the drainfield is full and backing up. If it's below then the plug is between the house and the tank.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10

Thank you so much , that makes sense. So grateful, gona do it
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Note that when you open up the hatch to the septic tank, normally the water level will be something like half a foot to a foot below the top of the tank when nobody is using water.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-05-2009 at 12:40 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote