Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Sewer odor in shower

The shower in our second floor bathroom is omitting a sewer gas odor. The trap is not dry and when the toilet in this bathroom is flushed, the surface of the trap water moves or ripples slightly. I have run a snake in this trap, run a snake down the roof vent, inserted a hose down the vent pipe and run water down the pipe. The order continues to appear.
When the snake was run down the vent pipe,, it appeared to run into an obstruction but it was cleared and water run down after this.
The house is twelve years old and all drain plumbing is white PVC (?) pipe. No previous owners.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Merlyn1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Sewer odor in shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn1234567 View Post
The shower in our second floor bathroom is omitting a sewer gas odor. The trap is not dry and when the toilet in this bathroom is flushed, the surface of the trap water moves or ripples slightly. I have run a snake in this trap, run a snake down the roof vent, inserted a hose down the vent pipe and run water down the pipe. The order continues to appear.
When the snake was run down the vent pipe,, it appeared to run into an obstruction but it was cleared and water run down after this.
The house is twelve years old and all drain plumbing is white PVC (?) pipe. No previous owners.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Could be a couple things going on here. Most commonly, your shower is not properly vented. When toilet bowl flushes it's sucking water out of your shower's trap so it can get the air/venting required to flush toilet, thereby releasing the sewar gas you are smelling in your shower. IMO, they propbably inproperly vented the shower. It's fixable though.

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Sewer odor in shower

Thanks for your reply.
If the installation is not correct, wouldn't that have shown up long ago? We have been using the shower and toilet almost daily for 12years. Also, it doesn't appear that any water is being sucked out of the trap, the trap water surface is just moving slightly after toilet flush.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Sewer odor in shower

Have you checked the toilet to make sure its tight to floor and wax ring isnt leaking?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-20-2013), jmon (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Sewer odor in shower

Yes, no leaks there.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Sewer odor in shower

Are the toilet and shower next to each other in the room?
Maybe try pulling the toilet and see if theres a heel inlet on the 90 where the tub/shower dumps into it.
If there was a problem with a dead squirrel or something in the stack depending on if they tied it in as a wet vent through the tub/shower for what ever reason it could be using that trap as path of least resistance for venting itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-20-2013), Merlyn1234567 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Sewer odor in shower

Strange that you have water in the trap and yet you still smell sewer gas coming up from the shower drain. It's possible there could be a break, crack, or disconnect in your vent pipe. Not likely though being the home is less than 12 years old. You did say that when you snaked the vent from the roof you ran into an obstruction/blockage but freed it. Good job, that should help with your drainage regardless.

The only way to truly determine if it is a venting pipe leak is to test the whole system. This is a little involved for a homeowner, especially since plugs, caps, special connections are needed. It will involve smoking the entire system and seeing where the smoke comes from.

Scroll down and watch an interesting utube video on this subject. It may be a quick and easy solution to your problem.

Last edited by jmon; 08-20-2013 at 11:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-20-2013), plummen (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Sewer odor in shower

Clay Tile shower by any chance?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Sewer odor in shower

Smells like these can be very difficult to pinpoint. I don't know what type of shower you have but this utube video may have a possible quick and easy solution to your problem. Thanks for watching.

sewer gas smell in shower video

Last edited by jmon; 08-20-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #10

Sewer odor in shower

Is there a seperate tub in the same bathroom that is rarely used? If so check it sometimes tubs that are not in use will cause the traps holding water to evaporate allowing gas get through the trap.

Last edited by Peppe1019; 08-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11

Sewer odor in shower

Thanks for all the replies.
There is no tub in this bathroom and the video doesn't help since this s fiberglass shower. At this point, calling in a plumber maybe the best next step since it's getting a bit frustrating and your other suggestions are probably best attempted by someone more experienced. Of course, that brings up the problem of finding a good plumber.
Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Sewer odor in shower

Your right Merlyn I've only been a plumber for 28 years and an inspector of plumbing for 10 obviously I'm slow.... You waltz in type a paragraph and expect an instantaneous answer.

If you prefer throwing money at it before trouble shooting an issue feel free. It's your money.

Tell me if you run the shower. And close off the bathroom for a day with no use do you still smell sewer in the shower?

And just for giggles if you run hot water in the sink do you smell sewer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-20-2013), plummen (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Sewer odor in shower

I suggest you go back and read again what I said as I did not imply that any respondents to this problem were inexperienced. I was referring to the other suggestions (removing the toilet and using smoke to detect a leak) that would be best performed by someone more experienced than I.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Master Plumber

Sewer odor in shower

methane (sewer gas) is commonly confused with similar smells coming out of shower stalls, try pouring half a gallon of bleach down the drain then covering it with a plastic lid for 24 hours, then run plenty of hot water, if the smell goes away then what you had is an active bacteria name fails me at the moment, a direct result of body oils hair and soaps, etc, if it persist then a smoke test will end all the guessing. good luck.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #15

Sewer odor in shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn1234567 View Post
I suggest you go back and read again what I said as I did not imply that any respondents to this problem were inexperienced. I was referring to the other suggestions (removing the toilet and using smoke to detect a leak) that would be best performed by someone more experienced than I.
Then please except my apologies. I would suggest dumping hydrogen peroxide down your shower drain if the bleach does not do the trick. After you wash out the bleach.