Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sewer Line Problem... puzzling!!

Referring to the attached schematic, when we flush toilet A, the flow first rushes over to toilet B (uphill), spilling out a small amount before draining back in the proper direction. The solids also settle out at the base of toilet B and create a blockage when using toilet B. However, when you flush toilet B it operates just fine (as best I can tell).

Similar to the drawing, the fitting for toilet A is a 45 bend pointing in the right direction (downstream). I've also put a garden hose (hose pipe) in toilet A flange and let it run as hard as I could and couldn't get it to back up. I also "snaked" the line from the toilet A flange and couldn't find a blockage. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Sewer Line Problem...  puzzling!!-doc121109-0001.jpg  

cm3putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 118

I would guess that the horizontal waste line does not have the 1/4" pitch it's supposed to have. It's probably flat at best, or maybe even slightly back-pitched. Not something that's real easy to fix.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Irrigation Contractor

Location: South Central British Columbia - The great White North

You might want to either rent a camera or get a plumber in to camera the line to verify exactly what you are facing. A camera will also show if you do have a blockage. The cost of the camera job will verify everything and give you proof of piping going up hill or not.

Dropping the sewer line 1/4" / ft for the drain isn't really all that difficult with the right tools. It is time consuming (you didn't give us distances) and can be really dusty breaking all that (i'm assuming) concrete.
Water Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

it's a second floor installation with the toilets a standard distance off the wall.. I've got the ceiling opened up under the plumbing and confirmed the required 1/4" foot slope (maybe a 1/16" off). The tee on toilet A is a stnd waste tee. I'm currently trying to figure out how the swap out the waste tee with a wye and the current closet flange (with straight discharge) to a closet flange that has a 45* discharge but only have 8" max. to accomplish this and it's not cooperating. The point of this being to get the flow moving "downstream" at a greater angle the the current waste tee allows. Maybe impossible thought unless I can find a wye or 45* flange that has a "male" end to make up the difference I need that can't be accomplished with both having female connectors with a short piece of pipe in between.
cm3putter is offline   Reply With Quote