Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

Sewer Line backing up...Argh!

My main sewer line is backing up somewhere from the city main. I ran a 50 foot line snake rental from HD and pulled out some roots with the cutting head. Worked for a bit then back to blocked once the washing machine or shower was used..not a pretty sight.

Everything causes it to back up so I am fairly sure it is in the main line between my house and the city's main. I ran a 100 foot line (maybe got 80 - 85 feet of it in with another cutting head) and still the same old story.

Afterwards, I used some main line cleaner, but this time no roots and still clogged. Is it possible that I just missed the clog and sent it further down towards the main city line?

It is hard for me to imagine that the main is more than 80 feet out from my house considering how close the city main looks from here to the street. I'm at my wits end....and advice would be appreciated?

I am thinking of sucking it up and hiring a professional or getting a longer line, but so far I can't find one as of yet because HD only rents up to 100 feet. I know I will use some Rootx after the clog is finally driven out...but until then what to do.

Demianwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You need the roots cut out, not just snaked out to do it correct. Then use Robic Foaming Root killer after you are done.

When I have hired a local plumbing company to cut the roots out of my main waste, the most it has cost was $125, due to that time took longer then expected. The last time this past Spring, it was around $75.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
registered

Call a guy up who has a hydrojetter. Tell him to slap on the warthog attachment. This is what i did a year and a half ago. Price $325 Went with roto router before then $125 back 3 months later.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Demianwulf (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

When you are cleaning/snaking through roots, it is not a one and done deal. The last sewer line I snaked that had roots in it: The roots were about 7 feet from the cleanout, I had to send the snake in, feel it grab/start to bind, pull out the snake and clean off the head. I did that 7-8 times before I sent the snake down and it did not catch. Also, it is easy to push the snake through the roots, so you are past the clog. Good luck
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broox For This Useful Post:
Demianwulf (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You need the roots cut out, not just snaked out to do it correct. Then use Robic Foaming Root killer after you are done.

When I have hired a local plumbing company to cut the roots out of my main waste, the most it has cost was $125, due to that time took longer then expected. The last time this past Spring, it was around $75.
What do you mean by "cut out"...Do they still use a snake? OR do they actually excavate to get to roots? Apolgies if this sounds a bit silly but I am confused LOL
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
When you are cleaning/snaking through roots, it is not a one and done deal. The last sewer line I snaked that had roots in it: The roots were about 7 feet from the cleanout, I had to send the snake in, feel it grab/start to bind, pull out the snake and clean off the head. I did that 7-8 times before I sent the snake down and it did not catch. Also, it is easy to push the snake through the roots, so you are past the clog. Good luck
Ok, we'll i only ran it through twice...thinking that it would do the trick, I'll rent another one and run it a few more times to see if I can snag some more roots. Any recommendations on what I kind of attachment or machine I should use? I regularly get the 50 footer from HD, but i'm more than willing to go to a specialty store for something heftier.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Call a guy up who has a hydrojetter. Tell him to slap on the warthog attachment. This is what i did a year and a half ago. Price $325 Went with roto router before then $125 back 3 months later.
I might just have to do something along this route, this is a shtty problem and I'm tired of it lol. I ran the snake because I had access to one for free at first.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Anyone, any thoughts of whether I need a longer snake? I seem to think that I should have ran it a few more times now that I have gotten some feedback. I was dead tired from working and ran it the once the last time and saw some temp results and quit

My basement drain to the street is only eyeballing it about 50 feet or so....
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

What diameter is the cable?
Use 2 blades on a heavy cable such as 7/8"
Do you know what kind of pipe your working with?

A word of hydro clean caution- The line should be flowing before going with hydro-root cutting. Where's all that water going to go before the roots are removed enough to get a flow? Once it's open- scrub it good unless it's orange burg pipe- in that case replace the whole line.

The more I think about it- perhaps hire a drain cleaner- and not one of the franchise companies, use a small shop
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demianwulf View Post
What do you mean by "cut out"...Do they still use a snake? OR do they actually excavate to get to roots? Apolgies if this sounds a bit silly but I am confused LOL
A snake is used to get rid of a clog, not cutting through roots. A cutter is exactly that. It uses different sizes of cutter heads, depending on the size of the line, to cut through any debris or roots.

If they have access from the outside, to the main waste line, that allows them to use at least the 5" or 6" head, to cut wall to all, all roots. All you did, was just poke a small hole through the mess, which accomplished nothing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

You would know if you hit roots. You can feel them as you go through them and they often come out on the cutter. Perhaps a longer snake is needed or maybe a camera will give some clue to the problem.
Demianwulf (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Master Plumber

Unless you kill off the roots all youll be doing every time you cable jet whatever is prune the roots, they come back twice as aggressive a few months later. you need to get a camera in that line and find out were they came in to the line, i offer couple remedies dig up repair line remove roots inside line and surrounding area, or no digging cut away roots then hit it with Root x done properly the root x will keep roots away from that line for a couple years in fact that the warranty we offer 2 year root free at the repair sight. the more you play with it now the more its gonna cost you in the future.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
What diameter is the cable?
Use 2 blades on a heavy cable such as 7/8"
Do you know what kind of pipe your working with?

A word of hydro clean caution- The line should be flowing before going with hydro-root cutting. Where's all that water going to go before the roots are removed enough to get a flow? Once it's open- scrub it good unless it's orange burg pipe- in that case replace the whole line.

The more I think about it- perhaps hire a drain cleaner- and not one of the franchise companies, use a small shop
I used the easy rooter on this link
http://www.homedepot.com/c/plumbing_rental_equipment

General Pipe Cleaners
Quickly removes blockages from drains and pipes
Safety slip clutch; ground fault circuit interrupter
Thermal overload protection motor
Line Size: 3" - 10"
Cable Length: 100'
Cable Dia.: 3/4" or 5/8"
Motor: 1/3 HP

I do not know what kind of pipe I am working with...any tips on how I can tell? Water is backed up a bit and you can still see some standing water in the basement drain about a foot down or so. So, I guess jetting is out of the question.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A snake is used to get rid of a clog, not cutting through roots. A cutter is exactly that. It uses different sizes of cutter heads, depending on the size of the line, to cut through any debris or roots.

If they have access from the outside, to the main waste line, that allows them to use at least the 5" or 6" head, to cut wall to all, all roots. All you did, was just poke a small hole through the mess, which accomplished nothing.
I looked around for a clean out, but didn't see anything of note outside. I did some some pipes where overflow from the gutters run into the ground. I was snaking from the toilet next to the main drain in the basement with the 100' snake because the line/coil was fairly thick and wouldn't make that turn like the smaller snake I originally started with. The head I used on the 100 foot snake was a circular cutting sort that looked a bit like an attachment to a hand blender. Wish I took a pic. But like I said I only ran it through the once. Maybe I missed my chance and should have hit it a few more times, I'm hoping.

Aside from roots, I did pull out some clumpy tissue paper that looked thicker than toilet that I worry my in laws flushed down the toilet.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Roofmaster

You really should find out what kind of pipe you have before you proceed, because if it is orangeburg, you can easily cut right through the side of the pipe, and complete replacement is what you will have to do. Where do you live, how old is your house, and have you checked with your neighbors re problems they have had? Some guys on here say that there are good chemical root killers. That may be, but back when I did this the only good one was a backhoe.

I feel for you, its a real pain to have to deal with this after work. Best bet may be an honest small local plumber if you are making money at what you do. They usually know the neighborhood.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Demianwulf (10-24-2013)