Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

sewer line

In my basement I have two drains (2inc). One is on one side and it's for the washer, and the other one is for the bathroom sink. Both of these pipes have rotted out right on the floor level. I need to cut the concrete slab and of course jack hammer in order to get to the main drain below. My question is, I have cast iron under ground. Can it be converted to pvc with a no hub rubber clamp? Just want to have the materials ready before I start cutting concrete, Thanks!

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
ICF Construction

sewer line

You can cut it and convert it, but you also need to get right down to where the rot stops. Also how far up is the cast going and what does it connect to? It is important to remember cast is heavy pipe and when you cut it to replace gravity will have an effect in wanting to pull what is above down. You should replace it with cast again unless you have something (ABS or PVC) above it.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

sewer line

You're going to need to expose the lines under the slab before you can really figure out the best thing to do.
Do they go directly into the main line or does it have a run going to the main line?
What kind of condition is that main line in? and/or What kind of condition is the run in.
Do your local codes allow plastic pipe underground? What kind of connections are allowed underground? Here you would need to do it with cast iron and dual tights until you got above ground.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #4

sewer line

Okay guys, thanks for the quick responds. The drain lines are galvanized, they have threads on the pipes, whats under ground is cast iron. I will have to cut the main to connect the new drain lines to, something like a 4 inc tee with a 2 inc inlet on it. The main stack (4inc) in the house is in good condition, it's just these two drain lines. Looks as if they had some water leak on the drain at one time, and it ate through the gavalnize pipe that was right on top of the concrete slab. I would like to cut it all the way where it meets the main sewer line in the ground and do my connection there. I am in NYC, and have seen some pvc used in newer homes. Does anyone know if pvc is allowed in NY areas? Thanks guys, any recommendations are always welcomed.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

sewer line

From what I've head NYC doesn't allow any plastic pipe anywhere including traps, PVC, and Pex. You would probably have to use service weight cast iron with dual tights. If you needed to cut the 4in underground it would have to be patched with special clamps the name of which escapes me.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote