DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sewer leak below slab. Debris in sand.

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  martin52 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie. I might have accidently posted a draft before finishing this post. If so sorry about that.

I have hired a Texas licensed plumber to locate and repair sewer leaks below the slab. Unfortunately I have lost faith in this plumber.

He managed to get his camera stuck in a 3 inch line. Knocked out slab to retreive camera. It was stuck about 3 feet from flange where he went in.

While conducting a test that was leaking at an increasing rate, I saw on the camera monitor that the test plug was being pumped up. The test plug had leaked enough air that water leaked around the test ball causing a false failure in the test. Had I not seen, this I think we would have been knocking another unecessary hole in the slab. After the ball was reseated and pumped up the test was good.

Anyway, on to my question. They are in the process of filling the void in the slab with the sand that was excavated. The copper water lines are in very close proximity of the sewer lines. The sand that was excavated has been tamped back into hole. There appears to be pieces of varying sizes of concrete chips/chunks in the sand. Shouldn't the sand be free of all this debris to reduce the likelyhood of contact with the copper and the possibility of causing a future leak?

Also shouldn't the edges of the slab be swept free of any loose bits of concrete before cementing over the opening?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.