Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
gml

Share |

sewer gas smell

I have sewer gas smell in my kitchen sink it dosnt smell any where else in the house it only happens when the hood fan is on or the fire placeis burning the house is brand new

gml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #2

sewer gas smell

It sounds like a trap issue to me, but could also be a vent issue. Do you have a double basin sink in the kitchen, and do you use both of them regularly? (By using, I mean actually running water in them; I have seen cases where people use the second sink solely to stack dirty dishes, etc.) Do you have any leaks under your kitchen sink? If not used for a while, the water in a trap can evaporate, or it can leak out, causing this problem. If you have any floor drains, or utility sinks that are seldom used, pour some water in them, to fill the trap; it may be coincidence that the odor migrates toward the kitchen.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

sewer gas smell

I agree sounds like a trap issue, but normally both sink basins share one trap, so only using half the sink wouldn't be an issue.
I'd check all the traps especially the floor drains those are the ones that go dry for most people. Check other rooms too not just kitchen.
If our dry trap theory is correct the reason the smell is stronger after the fan or fireplace is used, is that the fireplace and vent fan cause negative pressure and the makup air to normalize the pressure is coming from the sewer.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
gml

sewer gas smell

I will check traps also I have 3 roof vents out of house it is a 2500 sq ft house 2 bath 1 laundry each are vented to the roof the kitchen is the last drain on the system and at the other end of the house about 25 feet from the next one. there is no real good way to vent it up to roof so I used under the counter vent I thought it was not working because of smell so I caped it the smell did not go away should I install another one and do you have name of a brand you recommend

Last edited by gml; 01-09-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
DIY staff

sewer gas smell

If you capped off the AAV inlet ---the only place for the sewer gas to go is through the trap and into the kitchen---

I have never seen a new construction kitchen that could not be vented to the roof---

I think you cut a corner there and will now have to fix it---

First--go to a real plumbing supply house and get a high quality AAV---Read the instructions and install it properly--That should take care of the problem---If not you will need to run a vent to the roof.

Did you do the plumbing throughout the entire house?

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-10-2011 at 07:40 AM.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
gml

sewer gas smell

yes I did the pluming the house is slab on grade with finished concrete floors with hydronic heat so I was planing on venting through the roof but forgot to rough it in and didn't notice until to late the kitchen is a open layout in a corner with the exterior walls being all windows so not sure how to vent out of house now
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
DIY staff

sewer gas smell

That can happen--there are a lot of things to remember on a huge project like that----

Get a proper AAV--install it as high as you can--I think you will be fine---

The area that I work in has very strict codes--AAVs are not allowed under any circumstance--

Also not romex or Pex --All conduit and copper--makes building unnecessarily expensive.

Good luck--have fun--Mike---( be nice to see a picture of your house--You should be proud-Big project)

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote