Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sewer ejector close to main stack

Hi!
New to the forum, but have been searching for answers here for a while.

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement and adding a bathroom. Per town's code I can't tap into main sewer stack in the basement and have to add sewer pit & pump. Which is fine. It'll be 1st time doing something like this, but I like to learn & do everything properly. There is a good chance I'll have a plumber - friend of a friend - come and hook everything up once I get all the prep work done, or at least make sure I get it done right. But I don't have a luxury of bothering him with all the questions, and I certainly can't afford to pay him for the whole job.
I've done some research already, and have basic layout planned out. Where I want to put a sewer pit is very close to main sewer stack. How close to the main stack can I put this pit? I heard that usually there is good amount of concrete right around the main pipe. That would be helpful to know before I start breaking the floor. Also, is there a risk of damaging the main pipe while I'm breaking the floor close to it? And by close I mean about 1 foot away.
What would be the safe distance?

Also, while we're at it - do you think this is ok unit?
LINK

I understand that determining factor would be how much water would flow through, but I'm not sure how to calculate that. I will have a toilet, shower & sink, plus possibly will be draining laundry in there too. No one will be living in the basement; it'll be just big entertainment room for me and my friends + little work out corner. Only 2 people living in the whole house right now.

vladens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,262

The Grinder sump should connect into 4 inch pipe. The DFU is based on GPM rate of the pump. Most pumps will exceed what 3 inch pipe is allowed to carry. It is not based on the fixtures the pump serves.

The pump you show has a 90 GPM flow rate and that is 180 DFU You need to go to 4 inch. Do not forget the vent on that sump. You cannot use an AAV valve as a vent.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
The Grinder sump should connect into 4 inch pipe. The DFU is based on GPM rate of the pump. Most pumps will exceed what 3 inch pipe is allowed to carry. It is not based on the fixtures the pump serves.

The pump you show has a 90 GPM flow rate and that is 180 DFU You need to go to 4 inch. Do not forget the vent on that sump. You cannot use an AAV valve as a vent.
Hi!
Thanks for the reply. But could you please explain that in more simple language please?! What is DFU? And what's your verdict on the pump/basin in the link? Is it ok?

Last edited by vladens; 04-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Also another question - is a clean-out required with this kind of setup? The fixtures probably will be 5-6 feet from the basin.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladens View Post
Hi!
Thanks for the reply. But could you please explain that in more simple language please?! What is DFU? And what's your verdict on the pump/basin in the link? Is it ok?
DFU = Drainage Fixture Unit. Every plumbing fixture has a DFU rating- or discharge capacity.
For the UPC code- 7.5 GPM= 1 DFU
Pipes are sized by how many DFU's they will carry.
Code states your chosen pump is to be sized at 2 DFU's per 1 gpm

I'm not familiar with your pump brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladens View Post
Also another question - is a clean-out required with this kind of setup? The fixtures probably will be 5-6 feet from the basin.
UPC states runs less then 5'- cleanouts may be omitted but cleanouts are a good thing to have