Sewer Block At Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

sewer block at toilet

i replaced a toilet a couple years ago and with increasing frequency it clogged when flushed after a bm . finally decided from it's behaviour that the problem had to be at the toilet floor junction. removed the toilet and was greeted by a tan grey mineral like matter blocking the opening nearly 2/3 right at the floor level sewer opening. it was hard and crumbly after breaking off. the wax ring may not have made a good seal and i wondered if this enhanced the material formation. i used an extra ring on replacing the toilet.

is this a mineral? after never encountering it previously i'm wondering why it formed in less than two years and how to prevent it's redevelopment?

i tried to insert an image but it wants a url and the image is on my computer. if someone can give me a tip on posting pics i have a great one.

Advertisement

dabbindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 11,018

Re: sewer block at toilet

You need to host the picture on web based site like photobucket.
This post will help you post them.

How To Insert Images Into Your Posts

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
dabbindan (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,912

The trap is in the toilet so the area at the floor by thr wax ring shouled not be seeing any standing material, all should be flowing down hill at that point. My suspicion would be the slope of the drain beyond that point or the possibility of an obstruction.

Have you snaked beyond that point?

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

the blockage is removed and the toilet back in place. I'm trying to understand the source of the "growth" and how i might prevent having to remove the toilet again in a couple years. I think i found the attachment icon, the dang thing was so small i didn't recognize it. there should be a picture of the blockage attached.
Attached Thumbnails
sewer block at toilet-dscn4390.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 40

To assist in determining what the "growth" may be, subject a piece of it to an acid, preferably an acid stronger than house hold vinegar. If it is a water mineral deposit as in what is often called hard water you'll see a reaction.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 12,410

What's being flushed down that poor toilet?
Only exception to poop is toilet paper, anything else is but in the trash.
Even hard water should not have done that, plugged up drain, wrong stuff being flushed.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

absolutely nothing but human waste and toilet paper. my wife uses one in her bath and i alone use this one. i put nothing extraneous, not even hair off my hair brush. i am cognizant of the stupidity of putting an unnecessary burden on the municipal sewage treatment system and scrupulously avoid unnecessary material.

this was a hard shelled material i had to use a long pry lever to dislodge and it came out in a mix of hard shelled pieces and a crumbly material underneath. i then removed it with a shop vac. it appears to me to have formed in layers much like stalagmites in a cave but not nearly that hard of course. here's a closeup if you can stomach it.

not having anything stronger than vinegar this is how it looks after about an hour soak. this chunk was easily handled (gloved) without breaking. bubbles forming similar to carbonation in a soda.
Attached Thumbnails
sewer block at toilet-dscn4390c-stool.jpg   sewer block at toilet-dscn4395chnk.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to dabbindan For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 11,018

Was that toilet continually dripping? Looks like years of build up from the slow flow of hard water.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
dd57chevy (03-13-2016), SeniorSitizen (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

yep could be commode was running slow or dripping...for some time...what was the cleaning products....and how were they used...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

no, that would irritate the heck out of me. noise and water waste. i'm wondering if an improper wax ring seal and air flow leak might have been a factor. when i replaced the toilet today i ended up having to add a second ring to get a good seal. the previous floor had the tile added and that raised the stool at least a half inch. i used only one ring a couple years back. it looks to me that there is a poor seal at about the 2 o'clock position and that is close to where the deposit formed. hoping the better seal today will prevent recurrence.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 40

It's a shame that couldn't have been taken out in 1 piece and sold to an art gallery.

We could have had a name this piece contest.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

missed the second part: just the generic blue bowl cleaner from the squirt top bottle and occasional scouring powder.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #13

lol. modern mixed media. very mixed.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 582

you make a good point...but if the bowl wax was not sealed to the base of commode properly..I would expect you to have sewer gas in the bathroom at some point ... if it were 1/2 higher than the seal..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #15

no, the 1/2 inch was just the difference between the old and new floor. took away part of the sealing capacity of the ring and the only open area was around the 2 o'clock area and then looked like only 1/8 inch or so of a gap. the drying effect at 2 oclock is only about two inches of the arc. the rest looks clean like a good seal. i wonder if it is the remnants of a bacterial growth that was dependent on a supply of clean room air. it took two years or so form. that's the conclusion i'm drifting towards.

Advertisement