Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sewer backup

I have avery old rental house that occationaly has sewer backup in the basement. The first time it happened I called a plumber out who stuck a camera into the waste cleanout. He stated there was blockage and it needed to be rodded out. Then he tried telling us(my brother and I) that tree roots near the street had gotten into the line. He talked about digging up the waste line from the house to the street and replacing it. Then he tried selling us on Hydro-jetting. We didnt have the money and I kinda thought he was trying to take us to the cleaners, so we just had him rod it out. It worked tempareally. It has backed up into the basement a couple more times, but always seems to go back down. The place where it backs up is a floor drain in the basement floor. Now when that plumber was there, he noticed a crack in the old galvinized waste pipe coming down from the house into the basement cement. he replaced it with pvc. Next to that new pvc waste line is the floor drain. the floor drain is attached to that New pvc waste line with a P trap in the cement floor. My other concern is that the p trap is filled with human waste because it is attached to the house's waste pipe. there is always a smell of sewage in the basement because of the P trap filled with ****. Is that how a floor drain in the basement works? With a trap filled with **** water? Doesnt seem right to me.

klaus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sewer backup

I'd take a bucket of water and wash the drain out. Fill the "P" with fresh water instead of poopy water.

DM

Old 05-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,434

Sewer backup

All of your plumbing fixtures, including the floor drain connect to the mainline. So, if your mainline backs up it could leave **** in the floor drain since it is the lowest fixture-the first to overflow.
It may have seemed like a hard sell at the time but it sounds like you might want to revisit the hudro-scrub. Keep your mainline flowing and you won't have issues with the floor drain
Ravenworks (05-25-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Sewer backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus135 View Post
I have avery old rental house that occationaly has sewer backup in the basement. The first time it happened I called a plumber out who stuck a camera into the waste cleanout. He stated there was blockage and it needed to be rodded out. Then he tried telling us(my brother and I) that tree roots near the street had gotten into the line. He talked about digging up the waste line from the house to the street and replacing it. Then he tried selling us on Hydro-jetting. We didnt have the money and I kinda thought he was trying to take us to the cleaners, so we just had him rod it out. It worked tempareally. It has backed up into the basement a couple more times, but always seems to go back down. The place where it backs up is a floor drain in the basement floor. Now when that plumber was there, he noticed a crack in the old galvinized waste pipe coming down from the house into the basement cement. he replaced it with pvc. Next to that new pvc waste line is the floor drain. the floor drain is attached to that New pvc waste line with a P trap in the cement floor. My other concern is that the p trap is filled with human waste because it is attached to the house's waste pipe. there is always a smell of sewage in the basement because of the P trap filled with ****. Is that how a floor drain in the basement works? With a trap filled with **** water? Doesnt seem right to me.
Ayuh,.... Whether ya wanta believe it or not, really don't matter,...

Until ya have it dug up, 'n replaced, it Ain't gonna get any better...

After it's Fixed,...
Yer other issues will not exist...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

Sewer backup

i would like to know how the plumber saw the problem in the sewer with the camera with out clearing it first.
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote