Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #1

Share |

Sewer backed up or something else?

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with the drain connected to my furnace. A few days ago I started to notice water leaking from the side of my furnace. I opened up the side panel and noticed that water from the condenser was backing up out of the drain.

In my condo, the pvc drain pipe is going into the wall, rather than a drain on the floor. I ran about 15 feet of that wire pipe cleaner until it didnt go anymore, thinking that maybe it may have been clogged.

I cut the pipe and notice that water was actually coming back out of the tube from the wall. No other drain in my condo is backing up. Is it possible that this drain is connected straight to the sewer or is it connected to some other drain line.

And how do I fix this?!

Thanks a lot for any help.

Isaac Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
DIY staff

You need to figure out what it connects to----Opening the drywall might be needed--

Post a picture if you can.

Little condensate pumps are available to temporarily get that water to a working drain.

They look like a plastic box with a small sump pump inside--long flexible tubing is used to pipe water to a drain.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You need to figure out what it connects to----Opening the drywall might be needed--

Post a picture if you can.

Little condensate pumps are available to temporarily get that water to a working drain.

They look like a plastic box with a small sump pump inside--long flexible tubing is used to pipe water to a drain.

Crap, I dont know if I'm skilled enough to be opening the wall.

Here is a pic of the top of the furnace and one of where the pvc pipe drains somewhere into the wall. I temporarily cut the drain pipe and ran some plastic tubing into a bucket so that I can run the AC (its been really hot in southern california recently).

When I was feeding in the drain cleaner into the pipe in the wall, I can hear the pvc pipe rattling around in the wall, and it didnt sound like it was going straight down, but rather to the side up and down (my upstairs neighbor could hear it). Also, this wall is shared with my guest bathroom. Maybe the drain is connected there, but the shower drains just fine.

Thanks for the info about the temporary drain pump. I might use that instead, because there is another drain in my wash room connected to the washing machine on the opposite wall.

To avoid having to cut open the wall, could I just cap the end of that drain, and run that line into the washing machine drain with the pump you mentioned?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Isaac Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
DIY staff

Sure you could---that drain is behind the furnace--nasty spot---You must have long arms.

One other possibility---attach an air compressor to that drain and try blowing it out---Condensate sometimes creates slime which is soft --might work---