Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

Sewage smell in basement and kitchen

HELP!! These smells have been going on for months. I am almost 9 months pregnant and my husband has done everything he can to get rid of these smells, short of calling a plumber. We had a friend come over and "flush" the pipes with a high pressure machine but the smell is back with avengence.

I live in a row home and found out from our borough manager that our neighbors behind us have the sewer line running through our house, it connects with our lines and it runs directly in our basement out to the street. The front of the basement smells horrible. There is a very pungent odor all the time but when it's hot it smells like sewage. The same odor is in the back of our house only in our in kitchen in the far right hand corner. We have two french drains in our yard right outside the back door were the smell in our kitchen is and one in our basement. We have been advised to cap them off and this still has not worked.

What can we do, who should be call to get rid of this smell. We need to get this issue fixed before the winter because I fear we will have no fresh air coming in and these fumes can be toxic.

jzellers0277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Owner

I would first check all of the p-traps. Floor drains, etc. Make sure they all have standing water in them. Pour water in all the drains make sure water stays in the traps. If you have an unused toilet anywhere in the house, give it a flush. If the smell increased after high pressure jetting, a trap could have been sucked dry. Make sure there aren't any cleanout caps that have been left off.

This is just a start. Sewer smells can be hard to track down. It's going to be a process of elimination.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Mr.

I used to have the same problem with the shower drain in my bathroom. It seems like the people who constructed it miscalculated the length of the pipe connecting to the main sewer line. Oh well, instead of having a costly renovation, I just had the drain covered and made a new one instead.

Last edited by timothytaylor; 08-25-2010 at 12:58 AM.
timothytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote