Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Sewage Pipe Leaking

I'll try to make this short and sweet. I am living in the basement of a house. We have our printer in a cubby above which is exposed plumbing (vent from furnance going outside and sewage lines from the upstairs toilet, from what I can tell).

We noticed that cubby smells like.. ****.. at certain times and we noticed the top of the printer gets pretty dirty. Looks like mud was dripping on it. If you look at the pipes, a couple of them look like poop water was leaking out of the joints and ran down the pipe a bit and/or started to drip and kind of froze before it fell (like it was too thick to drop from the pipe).

When you look at the joints, it looks like the solder in some areas is pretty thick (so you can't see a gap between the pipes at all), whereas others you can see a slight gap between the pipes (not sure is solder is in the further or not).

Keep in mind I know nothing about plumbing, I just want to get rid of this problem. I have never done plumbing work other than taking off a toilet, although I have done a lot of work on cars.

What is the problem/what can I do to fix it? Can I just add some solder where it looks like there may be a gap? Even if this would fix the problem I may have to knock out some of the ceiling because there isn't much room to work there.

If you need/want pictures, just let me know.

Thanks a ton!

hlxdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Need pictures.
Sure it's not the wax ring under the toilet above leaking and it's running down?
That's lead not solder.
If you do not own this place, time to call the landlord and have a plumber repair or remove and replace with PVC.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

Sewage Pipe Leaking

I will post pictures in a minute after I get 5 posts.

I doubt it is the wax ring because there isn't a ton of "stuff" on that one pipe, there is a little on a couple of pipes. The floor upstairs is also not wet or anything.

My fiancee's father is letting us live in this basement apartment he has for free so I am trying to fix it myself if at all possible. If not then we will probably foot the bill. Considering I am paying 50K/year for tuition and my fiancee is making $500/month right now, I am trying to save money anywhere we can lol!

Thanks for the reply. We are located in Morgantown, WV in case you wanted to know (saw your sig).
Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Fifth post
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Still won't let me post links so just put http: at the beginning.

//s8.photobucket.com/user/HLxDrummer/library/
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Says your library is private. If they are copper lines, you need a big torch to heat those size pipes enough to solder and its a big job. Sounds more like cast iron. Cast iron needs to be adequately supported and its a bear to work with. Its not a DIY job to do what it sounds like needs to be done.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

Sewage Pipe Leaking

It should be public now. It looks like a mixture of copper and cast iron to me but honestly I am just guessing.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #8

Sewage Pipe Leaking

IMO-You need to repipe that copper- it's done. I bet you could push a in it with your finger.
Not a simple job. I suggest you meet up with your future in-law and get a plan together.

Save that pipe after demo- It's worth a night on the town at todays recycle prices

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Thanks for the quick, informative reply.

Do you mind asking what makes you say that? Is the pipe just degrading?

Does this mean all of the drain pipes in the house are bad?

One of the weird things about it is when the basement was finished recently, the contractor added laundry in the garage that wasn't there previously so I am assuming he added a drain.. If you look at the picture that is further away and shows all the pipes, the red and white flexible lines and power cables are going upstairs to that laundry setup. So I am assuming the pipe running with those lines is new/going to the laundry as well and it looks like it is leaking as well.

PS I added 2 more pictures to the link. I was looking at one of the pipes leading to the upstairs toilet and it does look a little damp around the flange/wax ring. Is that normal? Never seen the bottom side of an installed toilet LOL

Last edited by hlxdrummer; 03-25-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

Sewage Pipe Leaking

When I see brown liquid and stains in a section of copper drain pipe I assume it is rotting from the inside out. A gentle push on that spot could confirm that. If it collapses like a beer can- it's toast. Just don't poke your finger through it....

Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

Sewage Pipe Leaking

I'd bet that in installing the lines for the new laundry those pipes got shifted a bit and cracked the solder joint. That connection is shot and there's no way to fix it permanently without taking it all apart. Get with the fiance's father and discuss a plan to replace the drain lines. You can maybe get by short term (just keep the sewage from dripping) by taking a rubber fernco fitting, slitting it, wrap it around the leaking areas, and use the hose clamps to tighten it up. But it won't fix the underlying problem and could damage the joint more.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #12

Sewage Pipe Leaking

I just saw your other thread about a backed up toilet. Is it above these pipes? if so, confirm that it is not leaking onto the copper lines.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #13

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I just saw your other thread about a backed up toilet. Is it above these pipes? if so, confirm that it is not leaking onto the copper lines.
Nope, that is the toilet in our actual apartment.

Between that toilet giving us hell constantly (clogging/leaking), these copper pipes, and the trap going to the drain in the floor drying up/letting smells in this basement has been a plumbing nightmare!
The Following User Says Thank You to hlxdrummer For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
24+ years of fixin'

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Refill the floor drain, then pour some (not much) cooking oil in. This usually prevents the p trap from drying out

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #15

Sewage Pipe Leaking

Cast iron is black, copper is well, copper colored.