DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Sewage Lid + check valve (

majorchamp 07-07-2008 09:22 AM

Sewage Lid + check valve
I am not sure what the official terminology is, but I talked to my local city waste water and they came out to check the sewage lines because of another problem I am having. The main sewage line out to the street is clear, so he said the next step is to open the sewage lid (that rusted brown/grey lid next to the house). I don't know if its called a sewage lid, but I will use that term for the time being.

He said there are 2 pipes/valves in this hole. One of them is a check valve I guess and he said to check that for any blockages, hair, etc... He said its like a little flip lid that should be clear of any obstructions.

Could someone point me to an image / diagram of what I should be looking for? I have never opened one of those before.


1. Help me clear up my terminology :)
2. Point me to an image/diagram that can assist me diagnosing this problem.


majorchamp 07-07-2008 09:45 AM

I should add, the lid is metal and probably about 10 inches in diameter. Someone pointed me to a septic lid cover, but a google image search shows those lids to be much larger then what I have.

I use city services and live in a suburban neighborhood.

majorchamp 07-07-2008 10:06 AM

Ok, so what it is called is a Sewer Clean out. In it is the check valve once I take the top off the white PVC pipe.

So at that stage is where any additional information on cleaning it out is appreciated.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1