Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

sewage evacuation pump

I'm going to soon be installing an ejector pump in my basement in preparations for the rest of the plumbing and I have a couple of questions.

So far all I've found for reservoirs are large (and deep) 30" buckets but I was hoping to not break through the concrete anywhere. Anyone know of large volume but low profile reservoirs?

If I do have to break up the concrete is it better to just run all the drains under the concrete? This will require a significantly longer cut than just putting the reservoir in a hole. Anyone have good resources for researching the best method for this?

Thanks everyone.

frankp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #2

sewage evacuation pump

Maybe post a few pics of your situation

Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

sewage evacuation pump

It would be nice if we could find a low profile pit...but...I have not seen any only what you are getting 30" deep .....and to be truthful it would be better to use this one because sewage pumps handle solids and are bigger in size than sump pumps...so bigger is better.....and yes lines underground....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
frankp (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

sewage evacuation pump

A narrow and deep bucket works more efficiently. Usually an inch of water and perhaps two inches of solid in some places remain after the pump shuts off for that cycle. Two inches of solid left behind in a shallow wide bucket represents much more of the volume of the bucket compared with in a narrow deep bucket. And furthermore, the level of solids left behind may be higher the farther (in inches horizontally) from the pump inlet you go.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
frankp (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

sewage evacuation pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service plumber View Post
Maybe post a few pics of your situation
I'll see if I can get some pics up in the next couple days. Basically I have a laundry room and full bath in one corner of my basement. Laundry is 7' x 6' and the bathroom is roughly 10' x 6' and they share a wall. The bath will have a shower stall, sink and toilet. Laundry room will just have plumbing for the washer, no sink.

I'm going to try and attach a pdf drawing of the design that shows at least where everything is. The long run from the pit to the shower is about 13' according to the plans.

After doing some more research last night I think breaking through the concrete will be the cheapest and best method for this installation. Looks like I'm going to have a dirty weekend.

I am not sure about the vent stack for the ejector pit, though, as I've seen conflicting information about this. Can it be tied to existing plumbing vents or does it have to go through the roof on its own? (I'll check with the county inspector next week but I think it would be good to be armed with as much information as possible before that.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bsmntplumbing.pdf (71.2 KB, 56 views)
frankp is offline   Reply With Quote