Sewage Ejector Pump....failing? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 442

Sewage ejector pump....failing?

We have a sewage ejector pump in our basement and i just noticed it sounded like it kept cycling on/off but no water seemed to be moving. If i flush a basement toilet, it of course does push that water out, but once done i hear it kick off then seem to cycle on again off again, repeat. I went ahead and unplugged it for now.

Is this likely a failing pump, failing sensor or something else?

Advertisement

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #2

For what it's worth i believe the pump is a flotec pump, I've had it about 6-7yrs. I've been looking online and Home Depot sells one but it gets terrible reviews. I recall the pump i bought getting good reviews, so maybe not the same. ...I'm wondering if i should just replace the entire thing after reading the reviews though. How do i decide? My guess is probably a failing float switch, but sounds like most of the time those fail in the won't turn on state.

I don't really want this pit open for long.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,250

I would think you need to open the cover to the pit to see what is happening.

If it cycles on/off after running it might be (but unlikely) a failed check valve (if equipped) or perhaps the pump is shutting down (overheated?) and then when cooled down, restarting? Or perhaps the switch is intermittent on/off?
I'd check out Zoeller pumps if replacement needed.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Just went back to check it again. I've had it unplugged for about an hour or two. With it unplugged i went and flushed the toilet a few times then went and plugged it back in. It kicked in and seemed to cycle once or twice then shut off. Flushed toilet again and it cycled. Both times i can hear the check valve open and close, but it also seems like a little water was coming back.

I unscrewed the pump end of the valve and a little, we'll call it, water dribbled out. Wasn't much, maybe a cup or so. I also had the valve on the upstream end shut. I then took a stick and pushed on the valve to see if it was operating smoothly and it seems to be, but it concerns me that the liquid came out when unscrewed.

I think I'll run to plumbing supply and buy the quiet check valve to replace this one and see what happens. For $20 I'll at least have a quieter valve and no more klunks as it closes.

I also checked and it's a rigid 1/2hp pump if that matters.

The 2" pvc drain line comes out vertically from the pit for about 4', then angles at a 45 angle. The check valve is about 1' up on this angle and the shutoff is about 1' up from this. The pvc continues about 2', then goes horizontal, with slight downward slope, to the main sewer line. Any issues with this?