DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Setting a Toilet tank against a tiled wall

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jibanez 
#1 ·
I'm replacing a toilet in my bathroom and apparently I mismeasured for the new toilet. So now I can get the first part of the toilet down okay, but the tank isn't setting properly because of a lack of clearance between the toilet and the wall. The maddening thing is that it's off by maybe a quarter of an inch.

Is there any way to correct for this? I've tried rocking the toilet forward some, but I'm pretty sure I've reached the limit of the drain hook up. I'm leaning towards buying a new toilet, but I'm to ideas before I take that step.

Thanks!

Julio

#3 ·
If you have pulled the bowl as far as it will go forward, and the tank is still on an angle, it will leak when installed or possibly break if you try to tighten it up enough to stop the leak. Measure from the wall to the center of the flange. If you have a 12" rough toilet and the measurement is 11-1/2" or less, you will probably need to purchase a 10" toilet. They do make offset flanges to add up to 2" of distance to the floor flange, but they usually are installed inside the drain pipe which decreases the pipe diameter. This may be another option for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.