Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #1

Share |

Setting plastic tubs in concrete

I'm thinking of replacing the bathtub in our master bathroom with a deeper tub. Then my wife can take her baths without the water splashing out of the tub (she likes the water high... ) The "deep" tubs I've seen so far are made out of fiberglass or some non metal material. I heard that plastic tubs should be set in a concrete bed to prevent flexing of the bottom while taking a shower.

Exactly how is the concrete bed made?
1. Poured in a pan? If so, do they sell pans for that or do I have to have one custom made? How deep should the pan be?

2, What are the proportions of sand, cement and water mix that is not too watery but not too hard?

3. Pour the mix and set the tub in it or set the tub and then pour the mix?

4. Any synthetic mix that can be used instead of concrete?

Thanks,
HomeRepairGuy

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

i generally use thinset mortar, just mix up a bag or so and pour it on the subfloor where the tub goes. push the tub into it, level, and let it dry. it gives it a firm base over the whole bottom of the tub

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
i generally use thinset mortar, just mix up a bag or so and pour it on the subfloor where the tub goes. push the tub into it, level, and let it dry. it gives it a firm base over the whole bottom of the tub
If I interpret your post correctly, you just pour the thinset mortar directly on the floor without using a pan to contain it. Is that right? If so, what would you compare the consistency of the thinset to? Dough when baking bread? (You probably don't bake bread but maybe have seen it on TV... )

How do you handle the thinset at the drain which will allow separation later if the joint leaks or the tub is replaced?

Thanks,
HRG
Old 11-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

You just want the mortar under MOST of the tub. You mix it to a consistency so that it wont just spread out on its own (so you can set the tub down into it).
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I shoot for a Peanutbutter consistency, 'n leave a void around the plumbin'...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #6

yea peanut butter is probably a good idea for consistency. remember that most plastic tubs are made for an installation without mortar, i use the mortar to level the surface the tub sits on. the support it gives the tub is only a bonus
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnabcptrNH View Post
You just want the mortar under MOST of the tub. You mix it to a consistency so that it wont just spread out on its own (so you can set the tub down into it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... I shoot for a Peanutbutter consistency, 'n leave a void around the plumbin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
yea peanut butter is probably a good idea for consistency. remember that most plastic tubs are made for an installation without mortar, i use the mortar to level the surface the tub sits on. the support it gives the tub is only a bonus

Thanks guys for your tips on setting the tub. Peanut butter consistency I can remember... I have a pretty good idea of how to do it now thanks to you all.

Thanks again and keep it warm!
HomeRepairGuy
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

After you set the tub in the concrete plug the drain hole and have a heavy or average person stand in the tub (or sit ) and fill 3/4 way up to top to simulate weight during normal bath/shower.. that way the concrete base would be at the right setting so as not to move or crack at a later date ..leave water in tub until concrete/mortar cures.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
After you set the tub in the concrete plug the drain hole and have a heavy or average person stand in the tub (or sit ) and fill 3/4 way up to top to simulate weight during normal bath/shower.. that way the concrete base would be at the right setting so as not to move or crack at a later date ..leave water in tub until concrete/mortar cures.
That's a great tip and makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot COLDIRON!

HomeRepairGuy