Septic Tank Pipe Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Septic Tank pipe question

Hi all, newbie here. Question. On the exit pipe on my septic tank, it is at the very top of the tank. Is this normal? And why wouldn't it make more sense to have the pipe a foot down or so from the top, incase of a large amount of liquid going in the tank in a short amount of time and causing it to backup into the house? Thank you. Grady

Advertisement

Grady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,570

The exit pipe normally is about foot down from the top on the side or end of the tank. The inlet from the house could be on the top although not normally.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks Joe. That's kinda what I thought. Grady
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,184

Just to be clear, the pipe that you are looking at is horizontal, not vertical, correct? If so, I would be more concerned with the absence of a tee at that point than I would with the elevation of the pipe. Not for a large amount of water coming into the tank at one time, as you described, but because of sludge getting into the field.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Dexter, from the top of my tank at the discharge pipe to where what I assume is the distribution tank, is roughly 3' of fall within 12'. Oh and believe me there isn't sludge in the field, there's sludge in the leech pipe, as in solid sludge! Then again there isn't any stone in the leech field, roughly 8"-10" on the bottom and about 2" on top of the pipe. Grady
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Post pictures if you can.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady1 View Post
Dexter, from the top of my tank at the discharge pipe to where what I assume is the distribution tank, is roughly 3' of fall within 12'. Oh and believe me there isn't sludge in the field, there's sludge in the leech pipe, as in solid sludge! Then again there isn't any stone in the leech field, roughly 8"-10" on the bottom and about 2" on top of the pipe. Grady

If you are getting solids into the leech field of piping out of the tank you need to install a "T" to the inlet and outlet of the tank with a pipe off the T 12" down into the effluent and inside the tank. The "T's" will keep the solids and scum in the tank to further break down and allow the effluent to discharge to the field. Many jursidictions require a filter as well on the discharge side of the tank. You do not want any solids to enter any pipe after the tank or the leech field. This will reduce the life of the field drastically.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
LateralConcepts (03-20-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #8

Dexter, T's are in and the pipe inside the tank runs down the inside the tank approximately 15"-18". The bottom line is, I have no working leech field. I've been pumping my tank every 3-4 weeks due to it being full. I was just concerned with that discharge pipe. It just makes no sense to me why it is at the VERY top of the tank. The leech field will be fixed next week.

Lateral, no pictures at this time. I couldn't handle looking at the holes ( I dug by hand) in my FRONT yard so I filled them back in, due to not getting a machine for a couple of weeks. The system was put it in '85. By the looks of it, it was just one of those "slam, bam" jobs. ( We bought the home 2 yrs ago) Out of the distribution tank the pipe comes out at about a 30 degree angle for 8', has a 90 and then runs completely back across my front yard. I am not sure after that point. Running the snake through, I hit what appears to be another 90. I'm assuming the field just runs in an oblong circle. What is appalling to me is the fact that was no set standard back in those days putting in a leech field, pretty much whatever worked. The lack of stone under the pipe and above really burns my butt.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady1 View Post
Dexter, T's are in and the pipe inside the tank runs down the inside the tank approximately 15"-18". The bottom line is, I have no working leech field. I've been pumping my tank every 3-4 weeks due to it being full. I was just concerned with that discharge pipe. It just makes no sense to me why it is at the VERY top of the tank. The leech field will be fixed next week.

Lateral, no pictures at this time. I couldn't handle looking at the holes ( I dug by hand) in my FRONT yard so I filled them back in, due to not getting a machine for a couple of weeks. The system was put it in '85. By the looks of it, it was just one of those "slam, bam" jobs. ( We bought the home 2 yrs ago) Out of the distribution tank the pipe comes out at about a 30 degree angle for 8', has a 90 and then runs completely back across my front yard. I am not sure after that point. Running the snake through, I hit what appears to be another 90. I'm assuming the field just runs in an oblong circle. What is appalling to me is the fact that was no set standard back in those days putting in a leech field, pretty much whatever worked. The lack of stone under the pipe and above really burns my butt.
Before spending the money to replace the drainfield, I'd suggest you look into "rejuvenating" the drainfield with a Terra-Lift. I've seen great results. It may buy you several more years for a fraction of the cost of replacing the leach field. http://www.terraliftinternational.co...ift/index.html. There website has a map you can click to find a provider in your area. Where are you located?

Advertisement

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote