Septic Tank Issue..options? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

septic tank issue..options?

i recently inhereited a home from my great aunt. it is an older home with many additions. recently i have been having issues with my toilets and showers draining slowly. i was told that one option would be to drain septic tank. after talking to some older realtives, this is where the hard part comes from, is that one of the additnoal rooms that was built was done over the septic tank. the floor is cement slab.. i found a pipe that was plugged that im assuming goes down to septic tank i just dont know how low the tank is. I know this was done wrong and more than likely with out any permits since the house was bearly actually annexed into the city limits. the room has two doors one leading directly outside and the other to the rest of the house. what are my options to get this done. I know i will have to do a whole new septic system pretty soon just dont have the funds to do so at this time. what are my options to try a pump this? if i contact a plumber will they be obligated to let the city know and not let me stay in the house till new septic systemm is done? thanks in advance

Advertisement

jaycenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

In order to pump the tank you'll need access to the center lid which will be about 24" in diameter. If concrete was poured over the lid and no access or risers were put in prior, you'll be jack-hammering to expose the tank. If you don't know where it's at you'll need to have it located which a septic pumping company will be able to do either by flushing a sonde or running a camera down the line to the inlet baffle.

Advertisement

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,266

Bummer. Even if you get the tank successfully pumped it likely won't help. Chances are you either have a clog in the piping or the lateral field has failed and won't take the water. I suppose there's a slim chance the clog is in the tank inlet or outlet and will be elimninated be pumping but probably very slim. It might work great for a couple days until the tank is full again and then back to the same problem.

Before doing anything make sure you've eliminated the simplest issues: a clog in the line going to the tank or in the vent pipes.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

You said that you are within city limits. Check discretely to see if sewer is available at your location, then you can connect to the sewer system, drain the tank and fill it. Course that isn't free either, but if you have to replace the system, that can be very expensive, especially since you are going to need to meet code.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You said that you are within city limits. Check discretely to see if sewer is available at your location, then you can connect to the sewer system, drain the tank and fill it. Course that isn't free either, but if you have to replace the system, that can be very expensive, especially since you are going to need to meet code.
Either way, he/she has the problem of finding and pumping the tank. If they do have city sewer available to hook up to they'll need; like you mentioned, to pump, then crush or fill the tank with gravel. Which could be a problem if there's part of a house built over it. No matter which way you look at it, seems like they have a major problem on their hands. No simple fix and most likely will need professional help to fix it. Might not even be worth fixing. Hopefully there aren't any liens on the property.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote