Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 510

Septic pump will not turn on by itself

Hi all

I have been struggling with my septic for years. Floats and most of parts inside the control box replaced. Floats replaced several times. I have to mend it basically either every year or every 2 years.
5 days ago alarm came up again.

This is what I have:

I have 3 chamber septic, with 1 or 2 (not sure) hp ($850) thump pump. OK, I have Goulds pump. We had it replaced around 2007, total was $850. It's either 1/2 or 3/4 HP pump.
2 floats, one to turn pump on and one for alarm. Alarm float is Junior, effluent level float is Super Single pump switch from Rhombus.

pretty simple control box. I can NOT tell if the lights on timer are on during the day. I looked at them at night, no lights on timer. Both solenoid and timer replaced 2 years ago

Symptoms:

5 days ago alarm came up
I turned pump by manual switch, and pump works.
I routinely assumed, it's a bad float again. I had them replaced several times already.
Yesterday, I switched level float with alarm float.
To my surprise, level float works for alarm.
What was alarm float, Junior, does not turn pump on, when used as a level float. I know there is a minute or so delay, but I had float up in my hand for good 3 minutes, and pump does not come up.

Conclusion:
pump works
both floats work?
relay works, as I can turn pump manually, and relay kicks in and buzzes.

What is wrong then?

All fuses are good. There is really nothing else there to go wrong. Besides timer. Question is - if what was used as level float, works as alarm float, does it mean that float is good? As as far as I understand, load on alarm and level floats are different.
I am very tight on schedule to buy parts, as local store is opened only when I am at work. I have window to do it this coming Wednesday, and will pump septic manually. But I need to know, what to buy. I was also told that system should work with timer completely removed.

Thank you

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

Did you say you pulled on the float gently by hand (simulating a high water level) as opposed to turning on an override or bypass switch, and nothing happened?

You may need to do some wiring tests.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-23-2013 at 07:01 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Did you say you pulled on the float gently by hand (simulating a high water level) as opposed to turning on an override or bypass switch, and nothing happened?

You may need to do some wiring tests.
I honestly do not understand the question.

Pump can be turned on by hand from switch. Manual mode.
Alarm float apparently works, as alarm came up.
I switched lower, level, float with alarm float, to test level float.
Level float then works as alarm float, as I can turn it upside down and alarm will come up.
What was an alarm float, connected as level float, does nothing. I had it in my hand, upside down, for over 3 minutes, and pump will not start.
Relay works, or pump will not start from switch.
That leaves us with timer.
Are lights on timer supposed to be on??????? There are 2 LEDs in the upper left corner of it, and they are NOT on. But I think, someone told me, they are on only when timer actually works.
Another question is - alarm float was Junior float, level float was Single Standard, both by Rhombus. Junior is half capacity of Standard. Will Junior float actually work as level float then?
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote