Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Septic line connection - drainage

im trying to find my main sewer line in my back yard. no luck and i have holes dug everywhere. is there anywere i can download or buy plans or drawings of the whereabouts of the pipe.

petecourtneymandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

It's probably too deep for you to dig a hole to locate it.

I was watching ask this old house a couple of weeks ago and they had a device on a sting you can flush down the toilet with a sensor you can then take outide to locate the device.

It's basically a metal detector.

If you can locate the main line in your basement or crawl space, you might be able to find the general area with out much more effort. Otherwise, you need you need to figure out another hightech way to find it.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why are you looking in the back yard? More often than not, the sanitary sewer is at the street in front of the house, so the line from the house to the main is under the front yard. There are exceptions of course.

How deep are your holes? How deep is your basement?

As for downloading or getting plans, not likely. The sanitary sewer is typically not depicted on home construction plans.

There are ways for a locating company to locate it, but it is probably a waste of money. A competent plumber should be able to find it in nothing flat.

What are you trying to dig it up for?

***Edit*** Just noted the word septic in the title...Better chance of that being in the back, but not always! Mixing the terms septic and sewer is confusing.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

seems to me if you are looking in your back yard, you have a septic tank,, as said above, take a look in your basement or crawlspace to see where the sewer pipe exits the house. If your on a slab, its going to be hard. If you truly need to find the pipe, you could dig along the foundation down to it, be carefull digging,you don't want to break that pipe with a shovel or pick. Wish I had a better idea for you.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not all septic tanks are in the back yard. In Florida, we installed lots of them in the front. Look at your roof. find the vent pipe and imagine a line straight down to the ground. Do this in all 4 directions since the tank could be on any side of the house. The vent is usually a part of the main drain line. You should also have a clean-out within a foot or so of the foundation.

Last edited by majakdragon; 10-27-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: More info
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

call your township office, they should have original plans for the home, permits issued, septic location, etc.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,076

Sometimes you can detect the location of the septic tank, sewer line and leach filed by careful observation. Look for areas of the yard that are slightly greener than the rest, look for depressions that might occur after backfill settles. And the septic tank and field will not be located uphill of where the sewer leaves the house unless there is a sewage pump (and if there is you can open the sewage ejector basin lid and see which direction the line goes).

If that doesn't work, Find your last cleanout just before the sewer leaves the house and snake the sewer line. You should be able to get a good idea which direction it is heading. Sewer lines usually take a pretty straight line between the septic tank and house.

Can you find out the last septic service company that serviced or installed your septic system? They are pretty good about keeping records or remembering the locations. If you don't know who that is you could just call one - they're pretty good at finding tanks and lines.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

You might try witching for the lines. take two metal coat hangers, cut them so you have a L shaped wire approx 10 inches long by 7 inches high. hold one each in each hand very loosly pointing straight out in front of you. If you know where your septic line exits the house start there and walk across the sewer line. If you can do this the wires will cross automatically where they cross is where the pipe will be. I have found my septics drain field this way. Note: not everyone can do this. but it works for me.
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I actually got to watch a guy do this type thing, cept he used a certain wood, he showed me over a known sewer pipe, then we went and found the buried pipe in the sand, and KC, I somehow missed the word septic in the title also.

DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote