Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1

Share |
Question

septic lift station

I was wondering how far a lift station can push sewage?

Cal Ponc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

septic lift station

I've installed commercial/industrial ones that were quite a few miles from anything. There's really no limit.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you pumping raw sewage uphill to a septic tank? Effluent uphill to a drainfield? Raw sewage into a force main (pressurized main)?

Generally speaking, pumps like this are not rated in PSI, but feet of head. 2.31 feet of head = 1 PSI.

Figuring the pump capacity can be a somewhat complex equation, for a small system some of the factors can be estimated.

If you can give us a bit more info, we can help you choose a system that'll work well.

Rob

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Thumbs up

septic lift station

updated or when a visitEasy way to stay in the forum Good ServicesAbout all go to Good Services ok!sites where they can express!metal etching-metal etching help you to powershanghai massage-shanghai massage this for serviceshanghai massage-all info shanghai massage from massage chinamassage shanghai-this service for massage chinamassage shanghai-all service shanghai massage from china
esc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #4

septic lift station

i have a detached garage with a mother and law apt above. the existing septic tank is is about 50 ft away through an existing drain field. is a lift station a viable option or is a new septic system a better way to go? Just a note, i live in northern minnesota where it gets about -30 in the winter. i dont know if that matters or not. thanks for all your help.

Sean
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

septic lift station

Is the inlet of the septic tank above the floor of the garage? Different localities have different minimum bury depths for water and drain lines, it's usually best to call the local building department.

The proper grade for a drain line is between 1/8" and 1/4" per foot. For a 50' line, the end at the septic tank would need to be between 6-1/4" and 12-1/2" lower than the end at the building. If you can get that, you don't need a lift station at all.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #6

septic lift station

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Is the inlet of the septic tank above the floor of the garage? Different localities have different minimum bury depths for water and drain lines, it's usually best to call the local building department.

The proper grade for a drain line is between 1/8" and 1/4" per foot. For a 50' line, the end at the septic tank would need to be between 6-1/4" and 12-1/2" lower than the end at the building. If you can get that, you don't need a lift station at all.

Rob

I am lower than the existing tank. the cold is a issue. the recommend frost level is 5' below grade. so anything around that depth is no good. the lift station or new tank will have to start under the garage floor. thanks for all the help
Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #7

septic lift station

The garage slab is about 4' to 5' below the inlet of the septic tank and 50' away. So i think the lift station will work but how deep below grade is a typical lift station and should i worry about freezing??

Sean