DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

septic clog

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
hey guys, I have a clogged septic, I THINK.. Basement stinks, just started happening.. Also, drain area is wet, on both sides of basement.. This is in a flat.. Is it better to just snake it out myself, or call someone? I just dont have alot of room for a thick snake, 50ft. The hard steel ones, or just a 25ft, drill type?

THIS STINKS:wink:

#3 ·
You may want to call a pro plumber or drain cleaning company to open up a main clean-out plug and snake the main line out for you. It could be just a clog that they can clear, or it may be roots. They should be able to tell.
Good Luck!
Mike
Hey Mike, well, we went and called a sewer cleaner, and he took care of it.. Hair and grease and roots caused the problem.. I guess it's been awhile, like 5 years since it was done last, so it needed it..

Thanks for the reply Mike

#4 ·
Good, but if roots were part of the problem, I'm afraid that the problem will usually return in 1.5-2 years.
Rootballs get into sectional drain line, such as cast iron pipe, and clog them up when paper, grease, hair, etc. pile up on them.
The only way to permanently fix a root problem is to replace sectional underground drain line with solid plastic (white PVC or black ABS), if allowed by code in your jurisdiction. Call your Building Inspection Department to find out.
Plastic pipe sections are "glued" together - actually chemically bonded - which prevents roots from entering the line.
Good Luck!
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.