Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Separating ABS fitting

As per my previous thread: Reseal ABS fitting

This is what I have to work with. I need to separate and replace this fitting as it was previously leaking. How can I separate this as the pipe disappears into the concrete?

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Separating ABS fitting

That is going to be a challenge. You can't remove the fitting without accessing the pipe underneath and making a cut.

In order to do it right, rent a small demolition hammer (mini-jackhammer) and carefully knock out a little concrete around the pipe. Give yourself enough room to get all the way around it and make a clean cut, and glue in a new fitting.

Your only other option is finding a Fernco fitting that you could possibly attach to the outer hub of the leaking fitting. They make a lot of sizes...Check their website. Then you could transition back to the pipe above with the other end of the Fernco. I hate to see it done that way though.

Your best bet is to chip some concrete out.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Separating ABS fitting

You could cut the pipe out above the fitting just flush with the fitting the clean the old pipe out of the fitting with a fitting saver. I have never used one myself but i have heard they work. here is a link to a website that has them:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Separating ABS fitting

I've never seen one of those! Nifty Idea.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #5

Separating ABS fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
You could cut the pipe out above the fitting just flush with the fitting the clean the old pipe out of the fitting with a fitting saver. I have never used one myself but i have heard they work. here is a link to a website that has them:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html
Someone else recommended the same thing to me today, I will have to try and track one down tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Separating ABS fitting

Keep in mind while using a fitting saver....

1 : If you don't go completely straight with it, you will blow out the side of the hub and your fitting will be useless.

2 : It's not going to be a perfect size when you are done. It will be sloppy, so use LOTS AND LOTS OF GLUE inside the hub, and on the pipe.

Sometimes if a fitting is leaky, it could have a weak glue joint, and you might be able to split the pipe out of the fitting with a chisel.

Fitting saver is a little safer however, as long as you don't blow through the hub. Worst case scenario is a little concrete work.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Separating ABS fitting

Don't use a powerful drill with those fitting savers, (rambits), you want a drill that you can control the speed, constant pressure at a slow speed is the key. There a poor design and you can strip out the tool very easy.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Separating ABS fitting

n0c7,
There is another tool called a "Pipe Hog" that is made specifically for removing PVC or ABS pipe from a fitting. It has a guide that fits inside the pipe to keep things straight. You do still have to be careful but I have used Pipe Hogs for several years with no problems. A 3" Pipe Hog will cost around $60, which is probably less than the jackhammer rental. Pipe Hogs are made by Wheeler:

http://www.wheelerrex.com/pages/lite...150Pipehog.pdf

Like Alan said, you can also try to chip the pipe out of the fitting. To do this you would cut the pipe flush with the top of the fitting, carefully make a couple of vertical cuts in the remaining pipe (making sure to cut through the pipe but not the fitting) and then use a couple of thin flat screwdrivers to chip/peel the pipe out of the fitting. You have to tap the screwdrivers into the glue joint between the pipe and the fitting and slowly work your way around until the pipe is loosened and you can remove it. I have done this more times than I can count, but there is always the risk that the fitting will crack from the pressure. I definitely prefer the Pipe Hog.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #9

Separating ABS fitting

Ok guys, quite a few options. My next biggest question is I will need to make two cuts - one at the fitting and one a couple feet above so I can remove the section of the pipe. I cannot remove the entire pipe as it disappears somewhere above into the other walls. How do I install the new section? I bought a new 2ft ABS pipe to work with. I'm trying to wrap my head around how I'll have enough leverage to insert the new pipe into the fitting in the concrete and still have enough room to work with above to connect the old and new pipe together.....

Last edited by n0c7; 06-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Licensed Master Plumber

Separating ABS fitting

n0c7,

The simplest way is to use a "no hub" coupling. This consists of a rubber type sleeve wrapped in stainless steel with a big stainless steel hose clamp on each end. Home Depot and the like usually sells them. They are approved by most codes for above ground use.

You should have enough flexibility in the pipe to push it to the side enough to get the new pipe into the fitting. Measure carefully and cut the replacement pipe about 1/4" shorter than your measurement. Before installing the new pipe, slide the stainless steel sleeve up onto the existing (top) pipe, then put the rubber sleeve on the top pipe and roll the bottom part of the sleeve back on itself so it will allow the new pipe to fit. Install the new pipe, allow the top pipe to swing back into place (you may have to work with the rubber sleeve a little) , slide the stainless sleeve down into place and tighten the hose clamps securely.

The advantage of using a No Hub Bandin your situation is that you don't have any room for up and down movement of the pipe. The No Hub allows you to just swing the upper pipe out of the way, install the new pipe easily and then swing the upper pipe back into position.

You could also use a slip coupling but that's pretty tricky with a glue joint. It is sometimes very hard to get everything back together and get the coupling back into the correct position before the glue starts holding. I would use a No Hub in your situation every time.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #11

Separating ABS fitting

Is the no hub coupling you speak of the same thing as a fernco/rubber hose with clamps deal? If so I'm scared that they'll leak... I would much prefer a glued joint, but as mentioned it'll be damn hard to glue it all together. CAn the no hub coupling have some glue applied as well to help make a bond?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Separating ABS fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Is the no hub coupling you speak of the same thing as a fernco/rubber hose with clamps deal? If so I'm scared that they'll leak... I would much prefer a glued joint, but as mentioned it'll be damn hard to glue it all together. CAn the no hub coupling have some glue applied as well to help make a bond?
This is a no hub

A fernco is much thicker rubber.

No glue on the no-hub. It won't leak.

What the no hub allows you to do is fold the rubber back over itself, and fit the pipe inbetween the other two sections. Once you have done that, fold the rubber back over the other side of the cut, and slide the metal sleeve onto it and tighten' 'er down.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Licensed Master Plumber

Separating ABS fitting

The No Hub is similar to a Fernco but the rubber is thinner and there is a stainless steel sleeve which wraps around the rubber. You can be completely comfortable using a No Hub. They are installed in multi million dollar buildings all across the USA. In fact, they are the primary connectors for cast iron piping.

As I said, they are approved by most plumbing codes (I say most because even though I don't know of any code that doesn't allow them there might be one somewhere) for above ground, concealed installations. This means they can be installed inside walls and ceilings.

Several manufacturers make them, here's a link to Fernco's version so you can see what they look like:

http://www.fernco.com/NH.asp

Also, there is no need or benefit to putting glue on the No Hub, they work just the way they are made. One thing though, there are some I have seen that have a mesh sleeve instead of a solid stainless steel sleeve and I would not recommend those kind. Just make sure yours have a solid stainless sleeve and you'll be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to mstplumber For This Useful Post:
federer (09-03-2014)
Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #14

Separating ABS fitting

Alright, almost have my plan of action. Will use my new 2ft piece of ABS pipe, a no-hub connector, the only issue that remains is removing the old pipe from the fitting. I cannot locate any rambit, pipehog, etc in town. I've called every plumbing supplier/distributor/hardware store that I can think of and most have only heard of these tools but do not carry them. On Wheeler-Rex's website they list 3 distributors for the pipehog none of which carry them or have heard of them. And the websites either only ship to the US and not Canada and will definitely not have what I need here this weekend. What are my chances of breaking the fitting using the screwdriver/chisel and hammer method?

Going to visit the last largest plumbing supply store in town right now to see if they have it.

Last edited by n0c7; 06-07-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
Licensed Master Plumber

Separating ABS fitting

since ABS is a little more flexible than PVC if you are careful you have a good chance of chipping the pipe out. You should have a "plan B" ready just in case. Did you Google Pipe Hog and see if any of the many online suppliers will ship to Canada?