Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Share |

Semiannual sewer backup problem

Every two years the sewer in this house backs up into the main shower. I've been thinking about getting a power snake so I can clean out the main line every 6 months and prevent this.

1) is this a good idea?
2) does anyone know a good model.

Also someone mentioned the main line might have root problems. Can you get a root cutter as an attachment to the snake? And how can you find out it is a root problem?

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #2

Roots can do a number on it and yes they have a cutting head for the machines , Kohler makes the best machines out there but you pay the price for it , for a K-60 with 75 ' of cable and heads about $2100.00 dollars but with this you can also run 5/8" cable in it , If it were me and there is a roots causing the problem I would remove the tree or trees causing the problem and call a plumber out to rod it out and be done with it .

tzzzz216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #3

What I would suggest is for you to hire a plumber who has experience using a "camera snake." Or, you can probably rent one. It's like a snake, but with a camera on the tip. Using this camera, the plumber will be able to snake it through the system and watch real time what obstructing your pipes.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #4

Why are there roots in the drain tile to begin with? and where are they coming in?

My neighbor once had a drain line left open when they built his mid 70's house, below slab in a basement. The tree roots found their way in from the top side, under the slab and found the moisture in the drain pipe, capped the line and it's done and over with.

Rather than dealing with the semi-annual issue, what about fixing the problem once. The camera snake is a great suggestion...better to know what you dealing with...
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
Every two years the sewer in this house backs up into the main shower. I've been thinking about getting a power snake so I can clean out the main line every 6 months and prevent this.

1) is this a good idea?
2) does anyone know a good model.

Also someone mentioned the main line might have root problems. Can you get a root cutter as an attachment to the snake? And how can you find out it is a root problem?
If your house is very old, the building drain that goes out to the street could be either clay or cast iron. If it was built around WWII, it could be "Orangeburg" which was basically a heavy duty cardboard pipe that was used because steel was so scarce at the time. All these materials are very susceptible to root invasion. If you plan to keep the house a long time, it would probably be best to just replace the pipe.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #6

It is a very old house, built right after WWII.

Thanks for some interesting options I had not considered previously. Cost and the fact that we may not keep the house more than 10 years will be the factors to be weighed in the option I choose. I believe fixing things once and for all sounds great (never have to deal with that sewage again) but very expensive.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #7

What about root poison? I heard that this is a viable option if it is definitely tree roots.