Semi-permanent Plumbing Caps? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 47

Semi-permanent plumbing caps?

I have a couple drains I want to cap off for the time being, but use later. This is a bathroom that I temporarily set up in the basement, but now want to disable until I get around to finishing the basement- could be a year; could be never.

The bath tub should be easy, because the fittings are below the top of the slab in a gravel pit. Once I figure out how to cap it, I can cover it with gravel. I could cut the PVC and glue on a cap, but I'd rather not. Do they make caps that fit trap fittings? Otherwise, I'll make a disc out of plastic and put it under the slip joint cap.

The bigger problem is the toilet flange. The pipe is set in concrete, so I had to use the type that fits inside 4" pipe. There's no way to remove it and cap it without cutting out all of the concrete around it. An expanding plug doesn't fit because it's an oddball size. I did a search, and found where people had taken a flange with a knock-out test plug, and bolted it on upside down over the flange. Will this pass inspection? Seems kind of hack to me. I could make a cap out of flat 1/4" or so plastic, but it needs to pass inspection, as the house hasn't had final inspections yet. I don't want to leave the toilet in place right now, as I would then have to pull a permit for the basement bathroom, and I'm not in a position to finish that project right now.

Any ideas on a code-compliant fix? I will pull a permit when I get ready to do the bathroom, but I'm not ready for that right now (time and money). What do people do who want to remove a toilet for the time being? Thanks!

Advertisement

MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,528

My inspectors except permanent-caps glued on or gem caps held on by its stainless steel clamp. All other methods are considered temporary- even expansion plugs. Your inspectt might fee it differently.

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,918

http://www.grainger.com/category/pip...ecatalog/N-n0s

Find your size and use these for toilet.
The rest should be capped with a scd 40 perm cap.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote