Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self-Contained Steam Showers

I am building a new master bathroom, and I would like to install a steam shower.

I have looked online at some self-contained units -- particularly the Royal SS-B608L -- and it appears to be a good way to go. Royal provides the full enclosure (walls, doors, floor, and lighted ceiling), the faucets and showerheads, and all the electronics. The price (under $3K) seems very reasonable compared to having to design and build all that myself.

Here's a link to the unit I am looking at: http://www.steamshowersinc.com/Royal..._Unit_163.html

Does anyone have any experience with units such as this, and have any comments?

Thanks.

Peter

Pete in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete in VA View Post
I am building a new master bathroom, and I would like to install a steam shower.

I have looked online at some self-contained units -- particularly the Royal SS-B608L -- and it appears to be a good way to go. Royal provides the full enclosure (walls, doors, floor, and lighted ceiling), the faucets and showerheads, and all the electronics. The price (under $3K) seems very reasonable compared to having to design and build all that myself.

Here's a link to the unit I am looking at: http://www.steamshowersinc.com/Royal..._Unit_163.html

Thanks.

Peter
Although I can't provide you with any specific help, I can tell you my sister has a similar unit. Her husband is pretty handy and installed it with no major issue. I have used it and have to say one will probably find its way into our home in the not-so-distant future.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Water sizing can be an issue for just a normal shower after instaling body sprays, with or without pump.
That one Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Hi Peter,

I purchased one of these units. There really nice once you assemble it. The assembly part of it is OVERWHELMING but well worth the time and effort (so much cheaper too). I bought this one: http://steamshowersinc.com/html/p74R...hower-Unit.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete in VA View Post

Thanks.

Peter
litehippo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #5

Wow, that looks very nice!
Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #6

Lite Hippo --

Thanks for your response. I have looked at the directions, it does indeed look complicated. If I methodically go through the assembly, are there likely to be any big complications (missing parts, something stated wrong in the directions), or is it doable but just very time consuming?

How long did it take you to assemble?

Thanks.

Peter
Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #7

If water sizing is an issue, does that mean I need to tell my plumber to put a larger pipe directly from the 3/4" source to this shower? Should I run 3/4" pipe all the way to it, perhaps?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #8

Hi PeteinVA....yes, the instructions say 220volts and 50 hertz but it's made for the US so it's 110 volts with a 30 amp breaker for the steam generator and 20 amps for the heat pump/water valve. It took me half a day to assemble it. If i could do it over, I would have organized the all the hardware and panels before starting it. Let me know if you need any other help...
litehippo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #9

A few years ago we renovated the master bath and put in a custom walk in shower, approx. 8' x 8'. We were going to install a steam unit, which was going to be a lot of extra work when considering the extra wiring and extra cutting of the granite tiles. Long story short, the guy who was making the glass door clued us in on an old standing alternative used before the steam units were around. Instead of having the glass door sized to stand from the threshold to the ceiling, he made it about one foot shorter. Then in that gap between the shower door and the ceiling, he made a piece to fit in that can swivel open and closed. If you want steam, keep the panel above the door closed. This works awesome!! The cost savings can allow you to have the steam as well as a first class custom shower.
JohnBoy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

We bought this one on ebay. It was overwhelming to install, but did not require a 220v line, and did not require 3/4" plumbing. So far it has been the best money we spent. We paid less then $2K for the shower/tub/freight. The unit appears to be high quality and well thought out. It has many features, including TV and stereo. I posted pictures of it, installed, in the section up top. This company has them in different shapes and sizes and they are very easy to deal with.

http://www.mybath.biz/servlet/the-27...ool-Hot/Detail
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #11

I just saw the picture of the steam shower unit that from the link on zel's posting. That looks really cool!! For under 2k for the whole package, that is a great deal!!
JohnBoy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #12

Thanks, everyone. I decided to order the Royal SSB-608L, the one I originally looked it. It fits my space perfectly. Your comments give me optimism that if I set aside enough time and I am methodical in assembling, I will end up with a good product. I am putting in a duravit 78" air-jet whirlpook right next to it, and set in the wall at the end of the tub I will put a 26" plasma TV, with the sound wired into the steam shower. So we'll be able to watch the TV from the jacuzzi, and watch the TV from the shower until the glass walls totally steam up...