Seized Plumbing Flange Extensions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Seized Plumbing flange extensions

I have changed my hot and cold Waltec cartridges in my shower and want to remove / replace the threaded 1" collar extension around them however the cold is seized and crumbling. Don't want to apply heat in this area. Is there a good corrosion busting spray anyone can recommend?

I cannot get a grip on these with any tool and don't want to do further damage.

Seized Plumbing flange extensions-hpim2108.jpg

Seized Plumbing flange extensions-hpim2109.jpg

Attachment 6897

Seized Plumbing flange extensions-hpim2112.jpg

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's an ugly problem. Have you tried soaking it in liquid wrench? That's the best spray I've ever used for breaking parts loose. Not too sure anything is going to make that come loose without involving some additional work/destructive measures.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

This may not be feasible, but have you considered using either a calcium/lime/rust remover or Tarn-X to remove some of the corrosion? I don't think I've tried that myself on plumbing fittings, but it probably wouldn't do any harm. I might try a few applications, then rinse it with water and let it dry. Then put on some Kroil (a good penetrating oil that I've used - I haven't used Liquid Wrench myself, though I'm sure it would work too.)
pweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Thanks to you both... Sooner or later I'll replace the whole shower stall and if this has to wait until then it's fine. I generally avaoid corrosive sprays etc. in the house so I don't have any experience with them as far as what is most effective.. Haven't tried Liquid Wrench yet. I'm thinking I might try something like a car battery terminal spray that would clean and penetrate the internal threads if there is such a thing. For now this is cosmetic and hidden by the handle itself, but I figured I would take another stab while changing the cartridge, etc.
I sprayed a calcium buster into the area and decided to clean and lube the old cartridge and reinstall it for now rather than let the calcium buster eat away at the new one. So tonight I'll pop the handle and try again. I assume both collars will be similar, but this one began to crumble when I tried removing it several years ago. The cartridge inside must have been leaking for some time and the water softener not working too well either before I ever got to it.
Either way if I disolve the calcium, the tapered chrome profile is also tough to get a grip on. The replacement collars are plastic which would make it easy but these are solid metal and 30 years in place in a VERY hard water environment. I presume the tooth pattern on this was cut for an installation tool, but the first tooth was literally crumbling off so I need a good grip without bending this out of round. I think I'll avoid sawing near the thread unless it's absolutely necessary, perhaps when I change the whole shower stall. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

If it's man made the solution is too
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion , flange , seized