DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Seeking advice on severe rust buildup issue.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Just Bill 
#1 ·
Recently my toilet began to overflow from the tank. The fill system uses a float centered on the inlet tube. There was significant enough rust buildup on the inlet tube to interfere with the function of the float. What worries me is that the overflow tube SHOULD have adequately drained enough water to prevent the tank from overflowing.

Is it possible that the overflow tube is blocked with rust or scale buildup? This home is on a private well and there are significant minerals in the water. The primary concern is the rust, though....the tub is stained with rust and the inside of the tank is covered with rust accumilation.

Would anyone like to take a stab at this? I can replace the toilet's fill system easily enough, but would appreciate advice regarding the type. I suspect that the "old" type fill system, with a float on an arm that is not immersed in the water, might function better, but the larger issue might be the rust buildup in the overflow tube.

Can anyone recommend an abatement procedure if the overflow tube is stopped up? The fill system has a small, perhaps 1/4", hose that flows water into the overflow tube as the toilet tank fills and this does seem to make its way into the toilet bowl.

I would also be interested in advice on how to deal with the rust in general....please do not recommend a water softening system, that isn't going to happen, I assure you :no: .

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide :thumbsup: !

Dugly :cool:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.