Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Share |

Sediment filter pain to change

I'm adding a large sediment filter to my system. Its in line now but now I realize the large blue filter housing that screws up into the top of the unit holds lot of water which I have to deal with when I drop it down to change a filter. I didn't even ask if they sold a housing with a drain valve. Wondering if I can add a very small bulkhead style fitting + valve in the bottom of the housing so I can drain it before unscrewing / dropping the filter housing? Any recommendations? Thanks

Last edited by rtoni; 05-30-2011 at 10:44 PM.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
I'm adding a large sediment filter to my system. Its in line now but now I realize the large blue filter housing that screws up into the top of the unit holds lot of water which I have to deal with when I drop it down to change a filter. I didn't even ask if they sold a housing with a drain valve. Wondering if I can add a very small bulkhead style fitting + valve in the bottom of the housing so I can drain it before unscrewing / dropping the filter housing? Any recommendations? Thanks
There is a sump that is like the one that you have and it has a drain at the bottom, it is used for a bag filter set up..
Down side is that I have seen far to many asking for a replacement because the sump with the drain gets dropped and the drain gets broke.. and the sump gets broken along with the drain..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

thanks Akpsdvan - murphy's law - that might be an issue I didn't think of. Still not looking forward to wrestling with the full unit in the crawlspace though. Maybe a chunk of styrofoam or something, underneath the unit, in case it gets dropped would help? Just thinking out loud.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote