Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Second leak in main from the meter

Hey guys, I have a 50 year old home in Dallas that developed a leak in the main water line midway between the city meter and the house. I was able to dig it up to expose and repair the 3/4 inch copper which was buried at about 5 feet. This was done Memorial Day and I found yesterday another leak about 15 feet closer to the house, 8 feet from the foundation. I turned of the water and pressurized the line with air and this is about where I would anticipate the new leak to be. I have not calculated the rate of the new leak yet but the meter is spinning slowly, yet enough for water to pool on the surface. There is a huge, struggling Oak tree 10 feet from the line which my arborist says may be negatively affect by root rot.

My question is; being that this is the second leak in a 50 year old copper pipe, should I be considering replacing the entire length rather than patching the leak. I would like to know what the pros think of this situation. Is it common that copper pipe has a life expectancy of 50 years? The leak is an issue and it is 100 degrees and above here this time of year, I was planning to wait till fall but the wife LOVES the tree so I need to act fast. Whatever I do, this time I need to rent a backhoe as my body can't support another 5 x 5 hole in the clay. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe.

Last edited by JoeColeman; 08-14-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: No views
JoeColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

At 5 feet deep (ours are typically 18 - 24") I wouldn't risk another pit in the yard followed by another leak..... I'd replace the entire length.

JoeColeman (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Alan, thanks for your reply. Is it your impression then that the pipe has reached the old age of its life span. In replacing it are there any alternatives to copper? I pretty sure that the frost line in Dallas is not at 5 feet, the line runs in the same trench as the sewer line, I think this was just convenient for the builder. Is it within reason to run a new trench at 18 to 24 inched depending on local code and marry the pipe to the existing at 5 feet?
Thanks again for helping.
Joe
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,254

Best to check with your permit people.
My bury depth is 4.5'. Pipe considerations here are poly, copper, pvc(can not bring it through the foundation) and pex.
My pipe choice is 200psi poly- cheap and fast.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

If it was me here in Houston.....I would dig a 18" to 24" deep trench and abandon the old line and run new line of whatever material you are comfortable with. Myself, I used PVC here in Houston and sleeved it inside
a larger diameter PVC pipe for added protection. The double layer of protection is not required but made me feel better about it.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

I would check with the local municipality as to the frost line in your area before I dig again. The 18" to 24" may be very sufficient in your area. You mentioned digging in clay. This may also mean small, fine gravel such as we call "pea-rock" (pea sized rock). I have seen many water mains run to houses here in S. GA. which were encased in a larger poly line. This keeps the pea-gravel below the surface from rubbing holes in the plastic, PVC, or copper lines we use here. The outer casing would be just a bit short on each end to facilitate the necessary connections. Yes, we can run PVC here through the foundation IF it is encased through the foundation.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Usually code calls for 12" below the frost line.

If your copper line lasted 50 years, i don't see anything wrong with putting copper back in.

But we typically use pvc here, and same as e-plumber, can't bring it within 2 feet of the house or overhangs/porches.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Thank you all for responding to this post. I have attempted to contact the city of Dallas office by phone but alias, like most metropolitan cities, you most go to the office , take a number to ask a question. While I now have a plan, I must find out if this work must be done by a licensed plumber or if I can do the job, knowing a permit will be required.
Thanks again
Joe

The Following User Says Thank You to JoeColeman For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (08-14-2012)