Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Second hotwater heater installed in bathroom?

Years ago I saw some guy on a home-renovation show who had a small, second hot water heater in his bathroom.

He installed this just to heat the water quickly instead of waiting for the water to come all the way from the main tank to the bathroom - ultimately saving water.
The inline, though, wasn't the main cold-water, it was the hot-water line from the main tank. Once the main-tank hot water made it's way into the bathroom's heater the bathroom heater automatically turned off (I think) - and let the main tank hot water through.

However - I've found little information on what type of heater is used for this purpose and other such things - apparently it's not a popular trend.

Maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

The only reason I can imagine for the extra heater to shut-off is when it reaches the set temperature. Seems like a waste of energy to me. Water is certainly cheaper than electric costs. What I would suggest is a circulating pump so hot water is always at the fixtures. I have also seen some pumps that have an on/off switch at the fixture, and you turn the pump on when you are preparing to use it. This saves money since the pump is not running continuously.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Hah - maybe that's why it's not popular, because it's more wasteful (energy wise).

Maybe what I should consider, then, is just running two traditional heaters - both being smaller, overall, than the one we have now which is a 100 gallon tank so it makes sense that having 2 (40/60 or 50/50) would be sufficient and would prevent the water-lag.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

If you have access to the piping underneath and are planning on doing this yourself, it would probably be cheaper to loop the hot line back to the water heater and put a pump on it than to be heating two tanks all the time. Unless of course your tank is running out of hot water and you need more volume.