Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

Sealing a PVC Connection?

I apologize if this has been posted a bazillion times, but I'm leaving for work in 15 minutes, and don't really have time to do a search...

I had to re-do the washer supply connections in my 1983 vintage mobile. It was that flowguard PVC stuff instead of copper, like I hear you upscale people in them stick builts have. I joined up all the connections, put in all new spigots, and I have one splice that still leaks, on the cold water side. Three of my four connections are fine, so I'm looking to patch this one.

Is there some sort of product I can perhaps tape over the top of it to stop a slow drip? Hopefully something I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot, and something I can use with limited access, since its sorta tough to reach around the back.

Thanks!

Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

the problem must be addressed right away, you could come home to a flood . in the mean time you could try that sticky putty, Mighty putty what ever they call it. that has been shown on T.V. it says its good for leaks. I would shut the water off until u can address the problem.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

you're going to need to take the pipe apart again, sometimes you can get drain pipe to stop dripping but a supply pipe has too much constant pressure, better to take apart and redo to give you piece of mind.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

You are a brave person to try to fudge a repair on a water line. When it totally fails, it will no longer be a drip, but a flood. Walmart sells a putty like Mighty Putty, but it would need to be a dire emergency before I would even think about using it. Like the middle of the night. Even after using, you would have the problem of removing it to make the proper repair. Tomorrow being Thanksgiving, this is usually the prime time for a failure.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm just going to spend the $1.14 and do it right. I didn't want to take the extra time, because we're getting ready to head over the mountains, but I realized that all the time it took to fix was running around for parts. And it would suck to come back to a big puddle.

I think I had some water contamination in that particular joint, and that is the reason the joiner goop didn't set up right. Like I said, there are, well, six connections total, and that's the only one that dripped.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Thanks for the kick in the pants, fellas. I redid it last night, gooped the sh.. out of the connections, left the water off all night, and no leak this morning. I'm encouraged that it won't, because it leaked right away the last time I tried it.

Thanks again for the help.