Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Share |

sealing a leak, no hub to 3" cast

Is there something to 'wrap' the cast pipe I snapped clean at floor level to help the clamp seal better? or use another clamp? Almost seems the pipe is a bit smaller than the no hub sleeve. Tightening further may strip the threads on the clamp.

Its a small seep on a bare concrete floor,,,,but nicer if it stays dry. Think I can loosen the clamps and slide it up if needed to fix. Cant slide pipe sideways because of the tree type connections.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
Is there something to 'wrap' the cast pipe I snapped clean at floor level to help the clamp seal better? or use another clamp? Almost seems the pipe is a bit smaller than the no hub sleeve. Tightening further may strip the threads on the clamp.

Its a small seep on a bare concrete floor,,,,but nicer if it stays dry. Think I can loosen the clamps and slide it up if needed to fix. Cant slide pipe sideways because of the tree type connections.
if the pipe is rusted alittle you could grind it some or what we do is heat up the fernco to soften the rubber then tighten it up>>>>just a thougth>>>>>

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

If you are joining CI to plastic, you need the correct transition no-hub coupling. CI is slightly smaller O.D. then plastic. The transition band will compensate for this. A normal NH coupling will pucker a little bit and not seal on the cast.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

I use pvc cement inside the rubber before installing no-hub couplings sometimes on older pipe to prevent that
Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #5

it is NOT rusted therefore that tip wont work;

E Plumber, I am stuck with this sleeve and clamps since I cant get this one off nor a new one on. In all the years of looking in those parts bins have never seen one of those you speak of,,,course we live in middle of midwest and dont have many such thungs. Stores only stock what they sell alot of hence the universal straight rubber sleeves with hose clamp on both ends. Label says it will work,,,it doesnt perfectly.

Will pvc glue hurt the rubber any??? Think I will try 2 more hose clamps first,and if that doesnt do it I surely will try glueing it as you suggest. Wish I could get a wrap or two of bicycle innertube around it and slip it down over without rolling it,,,have used that before with great success in other apps. Much like teflon tape on steroids.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote