Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Sealiing Toilet

I want to seal the toilet bowl to the floor, but nothing seems to hold. The floor is vinyl. I have 3 little boys who haven't mastered their "aim" yet, and end up with pee all over. Everytime my wife cleans and wipes up the floor, the caulking peels off of the vinyl floor. I've tried the DAP Tub & Tile Caulk, and DAP Elastomeric 230 Caulk without any luck. All of the bulletins I've read for caulk will state that a specific product will adhere to porcelain, but doesn't mention vinyl. If it mentions that it will adhere to vinyl, then it doesn't mention porcelain. I've decided to try to force plumbers putty into the small gap, but don't think that will hold long either. Suggestions?

cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Sealiing Toilet

Ayuh,... Sillicone....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Sealiing Toilet

So, sorry I don't actually have a suggestion, but...
I used to give my DH a bunch of crap about having the occasional middle of the night miss at the toilet. I installed a night light.

One night I caught my Chihuahua lifting his leg on the front of the toilet.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #4

Sealiing Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar01 View Post
I want to seal the toilet bowl to the floor, but nothing seems to hold. The floor is vinyl. I have 3 little boys who haven't mastered their "aim" yet, and end up with pee all over. Everytime my wife cleans and wipes up the floor, the caulking peels off of the vinyl floor. I've tried the DAP Tub & Tile Caulk, and DAP Elastomeric 230 Caulk without any luck. All of the bulletins I've read for caulk will state that a specific product will adhere to porcelain, but doesn't mention vinyl. If it mentions that it will adhere to vinyl, then it doesn't mention porcelain. I've decided to try to force plumbers putty into the small gap, but don't think that will hold long either. Suggestions?
Grout
bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #5

Sealiing Toilet

Cougar01:

I don't see why plumber's putty wouldn't work well here. It won't look good, but it should work OK.

If you're looking for a caulk, Kop-R-Lastic will work well here.

Go to your local Home Depot and look in the aisle where they sell evestroughing for a caulk called "Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant".
It will come in either white or clear, and the contents of that tube will be exactly the same stuff as they put in white and clear "Kop-R-Lastic" caulk.

http://www.usehickson.com/Koprlastic...pRLastic.shtml

Kop-R-Lastic caulk sticks well to vinyl flooring, and it also sticks well to glass. Your toilet bowl is porcelain, but it has a glazed surface on it which is glass. It's that glass on the surface of the bowl the caulk would be sticking to.

Also, Kop-R-Lastic is unique from other caulks in that it's cohesive strength is even higher than it's adhesive strength, which means it sticks to itself even better than it sticks to other materials. So, when you want to remove Kop-R-Lastic caulk, you simply get one end started, and pull it off/out like a rubber rope.

I won't use any other caulk on the exterior of my building, and I use Kop-R-Lastic for lots of interior caulking jobs too. Because it sticks well, but can be removed easily, it's the best general purpose caulk I know of.

PS:
It's best to leave the back of the bowl uncaulked. That way, if your toilet's wax seal starts to leak you'll notice water on the floor after each flush before you notices the plaster damage and paint peeling on the ceiling of the room below. That way you can replace the wax seal before you have to replace some ceiling drywall.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-12-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #6

Sealiing Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Cougar01:

I don't see why plumber's putty wouldn't work well here. It won't look good, but it should work OK.

If you're looking for a caulk, Kop-R-Lastic will work well here.

Go to your local Home Depot and look in the aisle where they sell evestroughing for a caulk called "Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant".
It will come in either white or clear, and the contents of that tube will be exactly the same stuff as they put in white and clear "Kop-R-Lastic" caulk.

http://www.usehickson.com/Koprlastic...pRLastic.shtml

Kop-R-Lastic caulk sticks well to vinyl flooring, and it also sticks well to glass. Your toilet bowl is porcelain, but it has a glazed surface on it which is glass. It's that glass on the surface of the bowl the caulk would be sticking to.

Also, Kop-R-Lastic is unique from other caulks in that it's cohesive strength is even higher than it's adhesive strength, which means it sticks to itself even better than it sticks to other materials. So, when you want to remove Kop-R-Lastic caulk, you simply get one end started, and pull it off/out like a rubber rope.

I won't use any other caulk on the exterior of my building, and I use Kop-R-Lastic for lots of interior caulking jobs too. Because it sticks well, but can be removed easily, it's the best general purpose caulk I know of.

PS:
It's best to leave the back of the bowl uncaulked. That way, if your toilet's wax seal starts to leak you'll notice water on the floor after each flush before you notices the plaster damage and paint peeling on the ceiling of the room below. That way you can replace the wax seal before you have to replace some ceiling drywall.
Plumbers Putty is non hardening and will be a mess.

The wax ring is a Gas Seal.
bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #7

Sealiing Toilet

I totally agree with Nestor's advice regarding caulking all but the back of the fixture. If the wax ring's seal fails you don't want the entire base sealed up due to the risk of floor damage (or damage to the ceiling below)...That way you'll at least have a chance to notice the problem.

I definately wouldn't use plumber's putty just because it would look awful and you wouldn't be able to scrub "accidents" off of it.

Have you tried 100% silicone? I know it will stick to the toilet and can't imagine it wouldn't stick to the vinyl.

There's always the SIT DOWN TO PEE option. Probably not effective for training purposes though!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #8

Sealiing Toilet

Plumbers Putty is only a good seal for items that are tightend down with the putty in-between the surfaces. It also contains oil which can leech out and stain. This is the reason it should not be used on marble surfaces. Silicone is your best bet. Thoroughly clean both surfaces and then use isopropyl alcohol to remove any left over oil.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #9

Sealiing Toilet

Silicone, silicone, silicone,

Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote