Seal Space Between Gas Furnace Flue And Furnace? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Seal Space Between Gas Furnace Flue and Furnace?

SORRY SCRATCH THIS - MEANT TO POST TO HVAC.

Quick question: I have a Trane XR80 in the attic, horizontal. Flue pipe comes out of one end of the furnace a few feet to elbow, and up to roof.

Between the furnace and the flue pipe exiting the furnace, there is 1/4" gap all around the opening, with a warmth exiting from the furnace. Is this supposed to be left to ventilate the inside of the furnace or something? Or can I seal this with appropriate foil tape, etc.?

I have just found sap around a number of rafters in attic and so besides for the attic ventilation exits, I am trying to seal off any systemic leaks in attic (not to mention our natural gas bill!).

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by 99altrade; 12-21-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread Location. Sorry.
99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote