Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Scope done on home - under contract - Offset found

Hi All,

My wife and I are really trying to find an unbiased opinion to help us figure out if we are in the right or wrong.

History:
House is a 55 year old ranch style home (no basement) in Colorado.

I've lived in the house for 25 years. My wife and I bought it 12 years ago from my dad. During our time of owning it there was one back-up due to roots (still have the receipt for this) which occurred 9 years ago.

There have never been any other plumbing issues besides the random snaking my dad had to do once in awhile a long time ago.

Fast forward to now: we are selling the home for a fair competitive price. The buyer had the sewer scoped and found it had an extreme offset just past our yard in the street, but before it hits the city main. The rest of the pipe looked great - it was a combination of clay in some spots, cast in others.

Our problem is there are no external signs of leakage around the offset area and no backups in the house. We are having a problem with saying we will fix this because there are no signs of it causing issues and according to plumbers, it is not restricting flow. We have offered $2500 in concessions (paying more than half the expense of fixing it) as a good faith gesture. But we feel we shouldn't have to fix something that isn't an issue yet (and may not be for decades).

I have attached a photo of the offset and really could use some advice. What would you tell a friend or relative in this same situation after hearing the history and seeing the photo? Would you tell them to get it fixed or to give concessions and let the new home owner deal with it 10 to 15 years down the road when it really needs to be fixed? Or, is it really at the point where it needs to be addressed now, not later?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Seller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

If I was the buyer I would want it fixed. That is a major backup waiting to happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I would inform the buyer that they are free to fix anything they want to after they purchase the house. Let them make you whatever offer they feel is reasonable, and you should of course feel free to reject any offer you feel is inadequate. This way the buyer can assign whatever value they feel is appropriate to the repairs they believe need to be made. There is no reason for you to offer any concessions at all, the buyer will figure it all into their offering price.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
creeper (07-03-2012), Evstarr (07-04-2012), Seller (07-03-2012), TheEplumber (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

To me, it's a matter of who is more motivated. You or the buyer
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

Any buyer is looking for any reason to lower the asking price, can you blame them? Tjere blowing smoke up your butt.
$5000.00 to dig out and lift one pipe? Tell me where you live, I'll be there tommorow with a shovel and fix it for you for that price.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

As A Realtor, I would say absolutely not. Not a penny more. You have already offered $2500 so you can't back out now and I assume you have also reached an agreed price on the property.

They are playing the game and I seriously doubt they will kill the deal now even if you didn't offer to pay half. Dig your heels in and if they walk be confident that another, better deal is around the corner.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Any buyer is looking for any reason to lower the asking price, can you blame them? Tjere blowing smoke up your butt.
$5000.00 to dig out and lift one pipe? Tell me where you live, I'll be there tommorow with a shovel and fix it for you for that price.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Is there an echo in here
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

Our problem is there are no external signs of leakage around the offset area and no backups in the house. my opinion to this statement in all do respect the huge gap on the top? and maybe no back up signs = massive grade.and the gap is on top I'm sorry you did say you offered 2500
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wctekkk For This Useful Post:
Seller (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. We ended up negotiating and think we have come to a reasonable common ground. Sucks this was a problem in the first place. We should have had it scoped way before putting it on the market, but lesson learned.
Seller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #11

I'm glad you were able to save the deal, but in my area anyway, it is not common practice for a seller to pre perform any tests or scopes or inspections of any kind.
Buyers and their reps. usually do their own due diligence.