Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

Share |

Sanity Check

Hi All,

Just moved into my house had a slow\clogged toilet in the basement. Left it alone to take care of more important issues I have. The sink next to it was fine and all the rest of my toilets and sinks were working fine so I figured I'd leave it until I had time to snake it out.

Yesterday someone used the bad toilet by mistake... Now everytime someone would flush upstairs the waste would come out of the downstairs toilet.

Since it was too late for H.D. I called one of those 24/7 drain cleaner guys.
I should have kicked him out when he told me it was a big job without even seeing it... or when he told me my frozen water main that has since been replaced (that happened a month ago) was the cause.

After an hour of yammering on about roots and needing new pipes and quoting me 15k to have a new sewer run from the street he told me unable to remove my toilet. I asked him to leave, that's when he removed the toilet and augured down about 12 feet and the water went down.

When the auger stopped and reversed he told me the pipe was cracked. He then stuck a camera down the sewer and told me my pipe was cracked and I needed to replaced the whole thing which was full of water. He didnt want to put the toilet back on because he said I still had big problems.
After another hour of BS and me refusing to rip up my basement he finally left. My Drains are working fine now took showers toilets flushing etc..
There are no smells in the house.

When he sent the camera down I noticed there was standing water in the pipe under the house.
1) Is it normal to have water standing in my sewer (under the house)? The drain works and the main line that goes to the street seems to be fine.
2) If a drain pipe was cracked would I smell it?
3) Do these people normally try to sell new waste lines\sleeves to put into sewers.
4) Is 250 a lot of money to have someone come out and clear a drain?

Thanks for reading all of this,

Any info appreciated

Andrew

apetrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
MasterPlumber

Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrag View Post
Hi All,

Just moved into my house had a slow\clogged toilet in the basement. Left it alone to take care of more important issues I have. The sink next to it was fine and all the rest of my toilets and sinks were working fine so I figured I'd leave it until I had time to snake it out.

Yesterday someone used the bad toilet by mistake... Now everytime someone would flush upstairs the waste would come out of the downstairs toilet.

Since it was too late for H.D. I called one of those 24/7 drain cleaner guys.
I should have kicked him out when he told me it was a big job without even seeing it... or when he told me my frozen water main that has since been replaced (that happened a month ago) was the cause.

After an hour of yammering on about roots and needing new pipes and quoting me 15k to have a new sewer run from the street he told me unable to remove my toilet. I asked him to leave, that's when he removed the toilet and augured down about 12 feet and the water went down.

When the auger stopped and reversed he told me the pipe was cracked. He then stuck a camera down the sewer and told me my pipe was cracked and I needed to replaced the whole thing which was full of water. He didnt want to put the toilet back on because he said I still had big problems.
After another hour of BS and me refusing to rip up my basement he finally left. My Drains are working fine now took showers toilets flushing etc..
There are no smells in the house.

When he sent the camera down I noticed there was standing water in the pipe under the house.
1) Is it normal to have water standing in my sewer (under the house)? The drain works and the main line that goes to the street seems to be fine.
2) If a drain pipe was cracked would I smell it?
3) Do these people normally try to sell new waste lines\sleeves to put into sewers.
4) Is 250 a lot of money to have someone come out and clear a drain?

Thanks for reading all of this,

Any info appreciated

Andrew
1. No
2. Maybe
3. If it's cracked, yes
4. No

ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Sanity Check

Second Opinion:

1) No
2) No as long as all traps where still intact and full of water. If the crack was under the house, you might smell it in general over that area.
3) Not a good plumber.. will only do what you really needed. If it was cracked -> YES.. but standing water does not mean a crack. Did you see a crack?
4) No

Get references. Do your homework.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #4

Sanity Check

Thanks for the answers guys,
Bob we didn't see cracks what I did see was some buildup inside the pipes though.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Sanity Check

That was my point, It could be just another clog that he did not reach with the auger he had on hand. Or it could be roots growing in the pipe. Do you have any trees nearby? You could dig this up and find the problem your self to save a lot of money.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #6

Sanity Check

My neighbors have trees but they are 60 odd feet away.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Sanity Check

The roots will go out the same distance as the height of the tree.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #8

Sanity Check

I dont think they are more than 45 feet tall

Is it against code to lay pipes and pour a concrete slab over them?
Is it possible that my sewer pipes were encased in the cement in my basement floor?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Sanity Check

you can run pipes under concrete.

The pipes are most likely under the concrete in your basement.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #10

Sanity Check

Thanks Bob,

Much appreciated!

Andrew