Sanitary Drainage In The U.S. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sanitary drainage in the U.S.

Hi,

As my user name would suggest, I'm from Australia, and from a few of the things that I've read and posted, some of the standards and practices between Australia and the U.S. differ.

From what I've seen in reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, I've only been able to identify two types of sanitary drainage systems used in the U.S. (fully vented and fully vented modified). I was just curious as to whether single-stack and single-stack modified were also used?

Thanks.

Advertisement

aussie steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

Can you define those terms?

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah sure, this comes straight from the glossary of terms.

Fully vented system

A system of sanitary plumbing with provision for the separate ventilation of every fixture trap connected (other than fixtures discharging to a floor waste gully) and of the trap of every floor waste gully

Fully vented modified system

A system of sanitary plumbing differing from a fully vented system, in that the traps of any group of two or more fixtures, or floor waste gullies, discharging to the same branch pipe are vented in common by one or more group vents.

Single stack system

A system of sanitary plumbing in which the stack and discharge pipes also serve as vent pipes.

Single stack modified

A system of sanitary plumbing differing from a single stack system, in that additional venting is provided therin by means of a relief vent, which is interconnected with the stack, at intervals, by means of cross-vents.

I have posted examples of the fully vented modified system, the single stack system and the single stack modified system.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
sanitary drainage in the U.S.-scan00022.jpg   sanitary drainage in the U.S.-scan00033.jpg   sanitary drainage in the U.S.-scan00044.jpg  
aussie steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

i'm sure you realize there are more then one approved plumbing code in the U.S. I can only speak in regards to the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC). Within that code we have provisions for combination waste and vents, and wet venting. Comb. w & v is an engineered system usually reserved for large floor areas such as food stores when venting floor drains individually is not practical. So the horizontal drain size is increased to allow for trap venting.
We also have vertical wet venting. This is only allowed for 1 floor (per stack) and a max. 6ft elevation. The drainage fixture load per fixture is also limited.
I can't speak for the IPC but I'm under the impression they are more flexible when it comes to W & V piping.
The first job I apprenticed (a long time ago) on was a 20 story bldg. I can still remember packing cast iron pipe and fittings, wondering if it was all needed. I can see your system cuts out a lot of vent work.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote