Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Is it safe to tap into a 24" main?

Is it safe to tap into a 24" main? Long story short we have a 1983 Ranch with the original septic system. System needs to be replaced but city has a new policy requiring homes to connect to city sewer. We have a tap in our front yard that taps directly to the 24" main that was installed when they widened the road in 2000.

City(Waste water Dept) said yesterday they would not allow us to use that tap because it should not be there. They say the sewage will back up into our house as well as the sewer gasses. They say there should not be any 4" taps directly to the 24" main. City (inspections & permits dept) will not allow us to install a new septic system because of the Mandatory connection policy.

They call today and said they will allow us to use that tap, they will not let us install a new septic, but want us to sign a wavier, stating we understand we are tying into a 24" main.

Ok so that wasn't short but is it OK to tie into a main? I don't want to do something that could cause my family harm. Should I fight for the new septic or accept that because they said it is ok today, it is ok??

Susie_in_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Is it safe to tap into a 24" main?

not being there, I don't see any problems with it. I would try telling them you won't sign a waiver, you'll wait for them to provide you a safe connection to the public sewer. If you do end up using it, and have any fixtures lower than the upstream manhole, install a backwater valve like this http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=316 to protect your house from the sewage.

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_man For This Useful Post:
LateralConcepts (01-06-2011)

Tags
septic systems, sewer, sewer line