Safe To Cut This Stud To Make Room For Plumbing? Opinions. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Safe to cut this stud to make room for plumbing? opinions.

Ok guys...this is a mess. I just had to replace an old tub faucet in my bathroom and when they built the house they had carved out a small amount of the stud to make room for the faucet.

Well the picture I included shows the new faucet installed....but it's so far back that when I put the paneling on the faucet handles will be INSIDE the wall.....

The only way I can see to move it forward so that the knobs are outside of the paneling is to cut the stud completely and wedge the pipes forward with a block of wood behind them or something.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Safe to cut this stud to make room for plumbing? opinions.-328531_2493710832612_1548036895_32120544_1666982657_o.jpg  

Advertisement

maxsideburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

oh, there is a stud on either side (you can see one in the picture)

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsideburn View Post
Ok guys...this is a mess. Thoughts?
Yeah... Do it all over.

Open up that wall to expose more framing.
Fix what needs fixing.
Get some copper pipe and use it.
Put in a modern single handled tempering valve.
Close the wall up again when done.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

not gonna happen. I hate those stupid single-handle faucets and so does my wife.

the house is old and I'm fine with tearing apart as little as possible.....the planks in this wall run through the bathroom wall into our bedroom. i'm not about to tear apart half of the house to fix a faucet.

I was thinking about recessing a panel into the square hole and mounting the faucet and knobs there (if you get what I mean)

i appreciate all thoughts, but simply put I am a terrible carpenter and even worse plumber. basically I'm just trying to make mild improvements over how terrible the bathroom was before. in a decade or so when we can afford it I'll have a pro come in and remodel the whole thing.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 710

The way it was suppost to be done is a framed in box, the valve gets installed then a 2 X 4 goes behind the valve so it can be attached to the 2 X for full support.
I 100% agree on replacing those old steel pipes, as they get older they close up on the insides from rust and will leak at some point.
Copper of Pex will work.
I'd also strongly suggest getting rid of those old cheap wall panels, there going to leak and fail 100% of the time. Concider a nailed on enclosher not a stick on. Simple to install.
About $300.00 looks far better, will give you places to set soap and shampoo bottles and will not leak.
I just bought on at Lowes that has a tile pattern on it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

hmm, I didn't see anything like that when I looked at Lowes.

two things:

1. my house is built very strong, but not very square. if I were to get something like a nail-in-enclosure it'd likely not fit do to the walls being not 100% square

2. in order to replace those pipes with copper I'd have to literally rip my house apart. I'd have to remove vinyl siding on the outside and pull off the outer boards. that is something I'm not even remotely ready to do. I barely felt up to the task of scraping off the old fiberboard (which was absolutely not waterproof) and replacing it with the new plastic panels.

don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the advice on how to do things "the right way"....alas budget, time, skill and most importantly the way the house was built does not allow me to make everything totally up to date. nor would I really want to either. my house is built from solid cypress and dates from the 1940s....I want to keep most things as antiquated as possible. i do however like taking showers instead of taking baths so protecting the walls is a necessity.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

just looked at the Lowes website and the tub enclosures are really nice....but again I'm certain I'd spend that money and get it home only to find out that it doesn't fit properly due to un-square walls.

my house is extremely sturdy...but it was built like a camp, not a house, lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

good, fast, cheap... pick any two
pay now... or pay later.
measure twice... cut once
don’t sweat the petty things... and don’t pet the sweaty things.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

exactly. I've already stated that I'm trying to turn TERRIBLE into DECENT for the time being.

eventually we'll get around to remodeling the entire room, but there is much else to do before that. my main concern now is to protect the walls and have a remotely decent looking bathroom. fancy stuff can wait until more of the mortgage and more of the other issues are taken care of.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 710

If those panels fail then it takes out the studs, bottom plates and subflooring. Plus have to deal with the mold issues.
I work mainly on 100 plus year old houses and have installed at least a dozen enclosures when there was no money for tile and eveyone of them worked fine without of level tubs and out of square walls.
If you can use a hole saw, pound a roofing nail and have a tape measure you can install it.
Hope you way works out, time will tell.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

hmm....

most of the reviews I read on Lowes website about enclosures people were complaining that they didn't fit right unless the walls were perfectly square.

maybe I'll run down to the Lowes and check them out to see for myself.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsideburn View Post
hmm, I didn't see anything like that when I looked at Lowes.

two things:

1. my house is built very strong, but not very square. if I were to get something like a nail-in-enclosure it'd likely not fit do to the walls being not 100% square

2. in order to replace those pipes with copper I'd have to literally rip my house apart. I'd have to remove vinyl siding on the outside and pull off the outer boards. that is something I'm not even remotely ready to do. I barely felt up to the task of scraping off the old fiberboard (which was absolutely not waterproof) and replacing it with the new plastic panels.

don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the advice on how to do things "the right way"....alas budget, time, skill and most importantly the way the house was built does not allow me to make everything totally up to date. nor would I really want to either. my house is built from solid cypress and dates from the 1940s....I want to keep most things as antiquated as possible. i do however like taking showers instead of taking baths so protecting the walls is a necessity.
Youre shower valve is plumbed on an exterior wall?
Thats a big no no in most places unless youre in a really warm area year around.
Depending on where youre located those 2 handle faucets are not up to code either
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

southern louisiana.......so yeah, very warm.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #14

why can't you install 90's and nipple out to the proper depth then back in behind the stud?
Sdeclara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

I'm afraid I don't follow.

I get what you're saying about putting some 90 degree pieces on the source pipes....but that would push the whole assembly outside the wall....wrong direction.

If you can explain better that'd be great. thanks.

Advertisement