DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

S trap question

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  LateralConcepts 
#1 ·
I have a vanity in which the stub is coming right out of the floor. I have never used an "S" trap before, but it would seem that the tailpipe of the sink should NOT line up directly above the outlet pipe in the floor, since the two parts of the S trap cannot be directly in-line without hitting. These pipes do line up directly... this is a friends older house and there was never a trap before so the line down was a straight shot. Should I just try to move the outlet from the basement a little bit to the side? Is it ok if I twist the S trap so that it makes almost a loop instead of an S?

So that it looks like

instead of

See less See more
#3 ·
Really? It's surprising that they still sell kits at the big box stores then, no? So would the only way to accommodate a Ptrap be to rerun the rough pluming into the wall and up and out of the wall behind the vanity? That would be a NIGHTMARE in this application since the bathroom is an addition to a 100 year old home and the pipe is right up against a stone and mortar foundation wall....

#4 ·
If this is a permitted job, the inspector may fail it.
Although, it may be 'grandfathered' in because of the way it's set up and he/she will allow it.
If not permitted, either way will work, but from my understanding, the S-trap MIGHT get siphoned dry and allow septic/sewer gas to enter the room. I mentioned what the inspector told me about it to the guy in the plumbing dept. at HD and he didn't know it was illegal either.
And yup, they had the S-trap kits! (that's why I mentioned it to the guy)

DM

#5 · (Edited)
So would the only way to accommodate a Ptrap be to rerun the rough pluming into the wall and up and out of the wall behind the vanity?
DangerMouse is right. S Traps aren't legal. The only other way to accommodate a P-Trap would be to offset the existing pipe with 2 45's to move it back closer to the wall. Then use a 90 and a trap adapter.

As far as big box stores go, they sell all kinds of garbage. Like those stupid accordion style tailpieces and trap arms that look like flexible drinking straws..

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit confused. Wouldn't doing this be no different since it still would not accommodate the vent that the P-trap would be implemented for? Moving the standpipe back and using an elbow would merely allow a P "shaped" trap into an "s" trap system, wouldn't it?

#8 ·
Good advise, I forgot about those darn AAV's...... and I installed TWO of them here! lol

.... and it passed MY inspector's inspection. In fact, HE recommended the first one (kitchen sink) just to try to save me time, big hassles and $$$. (which it did) Then I asked about a second AAV in the bathroom sink, and he said sure, and he even helped me lay out the drain fittings on the floor the correct way! (of course, I paid a $50.00 "consultant" fee to him, but as much hassle as it freed me from, it was worth it.) Even with the fantastic help from all the guys here, it was a huge, confusing mess! I hope I never have to lay out drains and vents again!
He also "suggested a cleanout at the kitchen sink junction in the crawl space. I figured 'why not?' and added 2 more to the other two sink drains! Didn't cost much and my work area was wide open, soooo. Po)

DM

#11 ·
Looks good to me. :thumbsup: I'm assuming your existing pipe is galvanized or copper? Use a no-hub (shielded coupling) to make your connection. Make it easy on yourself, save some room, and buy "street" 45's. Your no-hub will connect directly to the st 45 at the bottom, and your san-tee will glue directly to the top one.

#15 ·
"Really? It's surprising that they still sell kits at the big box stores then"
We'll use "kits" here as a generic term for a lot of things they sell at big box stores. This is not surprising, the big box stores sell items which are not legal under certain local specific building codes. This part is legal. The "end user" is the one who has to be certain that they are following local code regulations. In my area, Lowe's sells the "CST" flex gas plumbing lines and fittings. HD does not sell these here. This particular type flexible gas plumbing line is to be used only by a "Certified Licensed Gas Line installer", or plumber with a "Master Gas License" also, in our area by City code. The City has been fighting with Lowe's for over two years to get this product pulled off of the shelves. Lowe's states that it "legal for them to sell" this product, which it is. But it is "Illegal" for homeowner to install this product in this area. Go figure.

#16 ·
Likewise with a lot of things. Here; Cabela's, and most of the other sporting goods stores sell "deer corn" (not legal to bait or feed) and inline muzzleloaders (also not legal). Just an example. People need to be responsible for their own actions, purchases, etc. If you don't know, read up on it. If you still don't know, you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.