Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #1

Share |

Rusty stubborn garbage disposal

I have been trying to remove this garbage disposal for a month. It is completely rusted and stuck. I was able to loosen (remove) the 3 sink flange bolts, but I cannot locate the snap ring. I have tried ..allen wrenches...screwdrivers...prybars.... absolutely nothing will work, please help! P.s. I am going back to a regular drain when I am finished!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rusty stubborn garbage disposal-img_20140311_193155.jpg   Rusty stubborn garbage disposal-img_20140311_193212.jpg   Rusty stubborn garbage disposal-img_20140311_193224.jpg   Rusty stubborn garbage disposal-img_20140311_221811.jpg   Rusty stubborn garbage disposal-img_20140311_221828.jpg  

scm60s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm60s View Post
I cannot locate the snap ring.
I can see the snap ring in your picture. It is under the triangular ring the 3 bolts used to be in. The really rusty ring has to be turned to the left and the disposal will fall to the bottom of your cabinet, allowing you to raise the triangular ring to access the snap ring. Utilize one of the three small round leverage holes, like the one right on the front, to turn the rusty ring. Even that rusty, you should be able to drop the disposal within 3 minutes.

SHR Plumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #3

I nhave read everything I can get my hands on, I am missing something!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #4

See the attached image-

Once the disposal is dropped you'll see the snap ring
Attached Images

oh'mike (03-12-2014), plummen (03-14-2014), SHR Plumber (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

If it was me. I would just pull the whole sink and then just put in a new sink, faucet and disposal.

Can you get a hacksaw blade up there and just cut off the fitting underneath, or maybe lift it and cut it right below the flange?

Try seeing if you can push up on it, then cut off the flange on the drain fitting for it, where it sits in the sink. Or if you can, cut the bolts, then turn to cut the other one or two, and that should allow you to separate the two sections, so you can remove.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

Do what E said, no need to cut anything. Put the screws back in and tighten them up first to keep the whole drain assembly from spinning. Then insert the shank of the screwdriver into one of the curled tabs on the lock ring (as shown in E's picture) and turn the ring counter-clockwise. That'll drop the disposal out of the way and reveal the snap ring. Step two is to remove those three screws (again) and THEN pry out the snap ring.

Last edited by Ishmael; 03-12-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

I failed to mention that I have attempted to turn the garbage disposal with every tool I could find. IT WILL NOT BUDGE! Not with screwdrivers, allen wrenches, hammer, etc... and yes the screws were not unscrewed at the time!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
24+ years of fixin'

WD-40 around the ring. let sit for a bit. lightly tap the ring with hammer, WD-40 again. Using the longest screwdriver that will fit attempt to remove lock ring.
gmaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmaint For This Useful Post:
Ishmael (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Owner

Not trying to offend, but lefty loosey righty tighty. Are you sure you're trying to turn it the right direction? I've never encountered one I couldn't get off.

Have you tried an actual disposer removal tool?
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by LateralConcepts; 03-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
Ishmael (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

Do you have a saw all. Use a metal blade and cut it out through the stainless steel flange above your disposal. Cut inbetween your sink bottom and the flat plate resting on your disposal. Wear safety glasses..
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Do you have a saw all. Use a metal blade and cut it out through the stainless steel flange above your disposal. Cut in between your sink bottom and the flat plate resting on your disposal. Wear safety glasses..
Hey, wait. I said that. I see that I am not the only one that is thinking of taking the easy route.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
See the attached image-

Once the disposal is dropped you'll see the snap ring
ok Iam pissed how do you do that ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm60s View Post
I failed to mention that I have attempted to turn the garbage disposal with every tool I could find. IT WILL NOT BUDGE! Not with screwdrivers, allen wrenches, hammer, etc... and yes the screws were not unscrewed at the time!
You do not want to turn the disposal! Just the mounting ring. DO NOT turn the disposal. All that will do is...turn the disposal.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #14

There are a lot of good tips on this thread. Many of which should have made removing the disposal possible. Unfortunately, at this point if you have not been able to remove the disposal you will need to contact a licensed plumber to do it for you. I am sorry it did not work out for you this time.

Last edited by SHR Plumber; 03-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
There are a lot of good tips on this thread. Many of which should have made removing the disposal possible. Unfortunately, at this point if you have not been able to remove the disposal you will need to contact a licensed plumber to do it for you. I am sorry it did not work out for you this time.
Careful there. Some people here get easily offended by our blunt, brutal honesty here.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garbage disposal, sink drain