Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rusty Colored water

I just purchased a house in the country. It has a great spring fed well that has been in use as potable water as far back as 1830. There is a clay collection cistern with black poly pipe running 300 yards into the basement of my house. it runs to a shallow well pump that looks to be about 15 years old. It's a Goulds. The pump runs to a storage tank that is fairly new. I got the water tested and it is all set to drink. I drained the storage tank to make sure the bladder was inflated properly and it wasn't. I filled it up and and refilled the tank. Now my water is rusty brown coming out of the faucets. I filled and drained the storage tank about 6 times last night trying to flush it out. My washing machine can't run because the screen on the water lines fill up and completely clog in about 2 mins. The toilet tanks are completely brown and have a layer of sediment in the bottom of them. What can I do to get rid of this rust in the water?

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Rusty Colored water

That may be sediment that is brown in color, and not rust. Or it could be iron in the water. I have a well system, and when we lose power, which is fairly regularly, the water runs brown for 15 or so minutes after the power comes on. Turns out we have iron in the water, which is relatively common, and there is a particular type of iron loving bacteria which apparently "eats" for lack of a better word the iron, dies, and forms a kind of scum inside the pipes and the tanks. Maybe you have that.

When the water comes back on, the iron film gets disturbed, and circulates through the pipes until it is flushed out, which takes 15 or so minutes. Turns out this is common in my area, and the iron film is not toxic, so it is more of a nuisance than anything. However, there are people who have sediment in their system, possibly brought up by their pump, and it looks similar. So my suggestion is get the water tested for iron, if that is all it is, you can flush it out by running the water continuously until it clears.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,348

Rusty Colored water

You may have a hole in your line pulling dirt in.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote