Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Rusting shower head

Is this a problem? We just moved into this house and the previous owners had one of those huge massaging shower heads in the bathroom. It's metal of some sort and it's rusting around the base and toward the bottom of the head.

Sorry - I'm clearly not a plumber and I have no idea what I should be calling these things...

Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #2

Rusting shower head

If the head itself is rusting, you should just replace it. It is easily done...Just use a few wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the shower head neck that comes out of the wall. If the neck is rusty, it can be replaced in the same way. There's a threaded female elbow in the wall that it threads into. A few wraps of tape will seal it up, or you can use pipe dope (teflon paste).

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

Rusting shower head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If the head itself is rusting, you should just replace it. It is easily done...Just use a few wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the shower head neck that comes out of the wall. If the neck is rusty, it can be replaced in the same way. There's a threaded female elbow in the wall that it threads into. A few wraps of tape will seal it up, or you can use pipe dope (teflon paste).
Great thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Rusting shower head

Unless it is an extremely cheap head, it should not be rusting. Are you on a well? It could be iron deposits and not actually rust from the head. Try wiping it down with some 0000 steelwool or CLR. You could then apply an automotive wax on the surface.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Rusting shower head

It's not cheap - it cost about $50! And I'm not on a well....

I cleaned it off and it looks a lot better. I have a feeling the people we bought the house from weren't living here at the time because, for example, the caulking around our tub started to grow mildew the week after we moved in. I have a feeling they did a bunch of cosmetic work and then moved out. It's not a flip because they lived there for 8 years....

Anyway....could the rust be because it would have been sitting for some time without being used?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #6

Rusting shower head

It could be. perhaps the chrome coating (if it has it) has pits in it that expose the metal under it. Believe it or not, $50 is not expensive for a large metal showerhead. I paid over $30 for a Waterpik head 12 years ago and it is plastic. Guess you will need to wait and see if it rusts again.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7

Rusting shower head

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
It could be. perhaps the chrome coating (if it has it) has pits in it that expose the metal under it. Believe it or not, $50 is not expensive for a large metal showerhead. I paid over $30 for a Waterpik head 12 years ago and it is plastic. Guess you will need to wait and see if it rusts again.
Wow good to know! The most expensive one I saw at the store I was in was $75 so I figured $50 was up there.....I guess I won't jump to replacing it too quickly!!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

Rusting shower head

I don't know which type head you have (rain style, retro, contemporary etc) but click on the link below to see what the prices are on showerheads.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/soothingshowerheads.html
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #9

Rusting shower head

WOW!!! Ok well don't I look like a dufus then?