Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rusted Blanco sink

I got a new 18/8 Blanco stainless steel sink from Rona recently and it start rust as soon as the water is connected. But I had installed another Blanco sink 5 years ago was purchase from Homedepot do not rust at all. Then I did magnet test, guess what the magnet stick to the new one not the old one.... I contact Blano they ask me to buy metal restor/rust remover and blame the water contents iron. The life time warranty is a lie. I guess now day you could not trust any brand.... If you need a new stainless steel sink my sugguestion is please do not install it before you test it out with magnet and water ensure it does not rust....

wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,320

Rusted Blanco sink

Some grades of stainless steel do contain some iron.
Might want to get your water tested, to much iron will stain any sink you put in.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Rusted Blanco sink

Both location were in the same city and only few block away, they are the same water from the city, and I bring the new sink drain to the old location rust again...and this does not explain 5 years ago stainless sink do not attract magnet but the new rusted sink does...they had give explain of water, cookware...which I have not even move in yet...if they claim 18/8 stainless steel they should be the same content 5 year ago or now..the quality of the product does change and they do not standard behind there warranty...this is the fact.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Rusted Blanco sink

There are over 100 different alloys of stainless steel. All of them contain iron, carbon, and chromium. Stainless steel is defined to be steel containing not less than 10.5% chromium by weight. Nickel is a common additive in high end stainless steel.

Curiously, many people believe that all stainless steel is non-magnetic, however this is NOT the case. Ferritic and martensitic stainless varieties are magnetic, while austenitic stainless is non-magnetic. You can look up the exact metallurgical definition of the various types of stainless.

As to why your particular Blanco sink stains, I cannot answer, however the fact that your particular sink is magnetic does not demonstrate that the sink is made of non-stainless steel.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

Rusted Blanco sink

My point is why same brand stainless steel sink had different content, and difference of the quality over the years. When they claim for limited life time warranty they do not take care of their product issue just and blame the consumer's the use method or water, how method could been change if I'm the one using both of them. This new sink is less than 3 month old and I have not moved in yet, just cleaning for now supper light use. Since I found the rust I had been swap both drains locations to test out the water, the rust drains will rust at both locations and the older drains just do not... I don't think anything wrong with the water or the way I'm using the sink, they keep saying that the sink do not rust it's something I do to the sink cause the rust and said the rust mark can be removed by metal restorer...The fact is it's rusted from inside out and the mark is in-bed under the surface of the sink...if the sink do not rust why I need metal restorer to remove the mark...The
only difference I could found is the magnetize fact from the new sink, that's why I'm sure the content for sinks are different. Too bad I could not take them out for further test...which my experience from this is test under mount sink stainless steel under any conditions you could think for future use before install and do not trust brand name or past product experience TRY and TEST...
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

Rusted Blanco sink

I forgot to mention one important detail regarding magnetized new sink, it attract magnet more at the bottom of the sink and do not attract magnet at the edge between both bowl, this shows the material consent changes within the stainless steel sink...the rust shows only at the bottom and the drain area...I believe one stainless steel sink should show same material throughout why the magnet only attract certain area not all, this must mean something and somehow the area attract magnet RUST..is someone could advise where I could go to get the new sink content tested in GTA...Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Rusted Blanco sink

take it back and buy a good elkay sink from a plumbing supply house
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Rusted Blanco sink

It is under mounted sink and had already built in with custom made cut out granite and tile back splash were installed on top of the counter, Rona did offered full refund, but there is no way I could take it out without damage the whole kitchen, even I could where could I found a extact size undermounted sink from someone elso, it's becoming in possible. BLANCO ask me to use (Flitz metal polish) I went to the website it does not even look safe for Kitchen sink use, it's a sealer gives the protection for metal do not get rust for 3-6 month. If BLANCO claim their stainless steel sink do not RUST, why they are recommending me Rust remover and sealer. That's completed wrong...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Rusted Blanco sink

It is called a recession. Dollar go down, metal go up, all products must be made cheaper. People are unwilling to pay for product that is made out of the same materials as 5 years ago. If the materials at the supply house get any thinner the employees will soon be dressing in mime outfits.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,076

Rusted Blanco sink

Buy a top end Elkay, mucho Nickel, very good quality.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #11

Rusted Blanco sink

That's why I'm recommending who ever need to buy a stainless sink, do not trust brand name, before install soak it in water left cleaning pad in let it dry try some times also test if it arract magent, ensure it does not rust before install it. The product quaulity does go down a lot, the only reason I will buy Blanco is I used to have good experience with there stainless steel sink, but not this time. There customer service slip out "we got call from clients all the time after they tried Flitz they have no complain...no no no..she said 'not all the time'" How funny is this if they do not get these call all the time how they know the metal restorer product is out there could help to remove and seal the rusted sink. The only thing is they do not tell people this Flitz product may not safe for use as cookware...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Rusted Blanco sink

I though give everyone a update, I have contact Filtz they called me agree on the remainder of their product may remain on the sink for period of time of 3-6month and not sure if animal or human test is been done base on the safety of using this product on Kitchen sink....I'm very frustrated and ask for help if any of you or your friend had experienced how to deal with this issue with manufactory? Much appricated