Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Rust in well water

I'm looking for a system that will help take the rust out of the water coming into my house. I have room to put the system at the well pump. But my finances are limited to disability. So I need a system that will do the job for the least amount of money. Can't afford a fortune for it. I've looked into water softeners but don't know if they will do the job and if they are expensive to use. I've checked on reverse osmosive and another called WHI-10 Micron whole house sediment filter. Could really use some advice here. Can't afford to make a mistake and waste my money on something that doesn't work. The water taste okay just rusty.
Thanks.

lazydaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Whatamess

Rust in well water

How old is your well? It could be the casing is rusted out. Most likely the water just has a high iron content. A double whole house filter might help.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #3

Rust in well water

Agreed add an additional filter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #4

Rust in well water

Couldn't hurt to get your well water tested just to be on the safe side. At least you would find out what you are trying to filter out. As you pointed out, only want to do this one time.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Rust in well water

The well is over 30 years old that I know of. Everyone has rust in their water in this area. It's just in the water. Florida doesn't have the best well water. There is no smell to it so its not sulfar water like a lot of people have here. All I want to do is filter out most of the rust. I use iron out in the laundry and that works for the white clothes but I want to filter the whole house. So I need someone that has had this problem and solved it with a filter to recommend one. Can't afford to replace pipes in well.
lazydaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Water quality'n pump guy

Rust in well water

Iron comes in dissolved and particulate forms. So as you draw a glass of water, is your water clear or discolored?

You need a water test for ferrous, dissolved, soluble clear water iron. A disposable cartridge filter is not going to remove that type of iron, you need an oxidizing filter or possibly a water softener if you have enough iron.

Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote