Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

rust ands sediment

I have well water and I am getting way to much rust and sediment through the system.A few months ago I put on a whole house filter system that has helped but the filters that are supose to last 3 months under bad conditions only last about 3-4 weeks before they are so clogged the water presure drops and the filter must be replaced I had a local well company come out to check the system ,they made a few suggestions as far as removeing an extra air bladder and such but said the pump and well were fine.Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep down some of the rust and sediment or am I just stuck with buying filters by the case????

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #2

rust ands sediment

I don't understand how removing an air bladder would help. You may want to check into buying a strainer assembly (the type used on boilers) that you can clean the screen instead of replacing the filter. The filter would still be in use but the strainer assembly would remove a large amount of the rust and debris before it got into the filter. I am assuming the rust is a result of iron in the water.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #3

rust ands sediment

yes the rust is from the iron thanks I was thinking of something like that although my thought was more on the line of some type of filter like on pools
Removeing the bladder was just a tip from them to help with water presure also removed the sofener it was so clogged it wouldnt work
Old 11-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #4

rust ands sediment

What type of filter are you using? A courser filter will generally hold more impurities than a finer one. Depending on your requirements, you follow the courser filter with a finer one. I commonly see 50 micron filers followed up of 5 micron ones. Differnt style of filters will hold more or less too. You can also find filters than can be cleaned, but I have had a huge succes with the few of them I've tried.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #5

Lightbulb

rust ands sediment

I remember my folks had a spring on their property which was their water for the well and along with the filtering system, dad would use a type of chlorine (bleach) put directly into the well......you will most likely have to use a combination of things to conquer the problem completely..... this helped theirs tremendously, but still it was something they had to do regularly, plus they put a filter/purifying system under their kitchen sink for the water purposes in the kitchen, just for an extra filtering there.... They lived in the Arkansas "mountains" Hill country and experienced alot of lime as well as iron in the spring water....but what a way to have water---naturally!

LIVE WELL!
revcex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
The Water Guy

rust ands sediment

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
I have well water and I am getting way to much rust and sediment through the system.A few months ago I put on a whole house filter system that has helped but the filters that are supose to last 3 months under bad conditions only last about 3-4 weeks before they are so clogged the water presure drops and the filter must be replaced I had a local well company come out to check the system ,they made a few suggestions as far as removeing an extra air bladder and such but said the pump and well were fine.Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep down some of the rust and sediment or am I just stuck with buying filters by the case????
Hello clasact,

I've seen your problem in the field all to many times. Sounds from your post you put a in-line filtration system? What it sounds like to me is you have iron in your well, and the basic in-line filters are no match for iron. What I would recommend for you is investing in a Iron removal system. Theres many products out there today to treat your problem, ranging from chlorine, greensand, acid based resins, and many more. I recommend you to get your water tested, to see how many parts per million you may have, and other elements you need to filter. Then work off the analysis. If you need some good resources for testing places and products to suit your needs shoot me a pm and ill send them over.

Good luck
filtrationworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
remodeling pro

rust ands sediment

How about going deeper with the well. Around here the shallow wells are terrible for iron, but going down always gets perfect water.It is not cheap, but all of your plumbing is not constantly ruined and stained, plus you don't have to wear a nose clip to block the smell when you brush your teeth.The deeper well will also produce less sediment in the water.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #8

rust ands sediment

cant go deeper it an old well and it inside the house .If I want to do anything like that I have to put in a new one outside.I did put on a iron/sediment filter and treatment unit that seams to be doing a pretty good job so far along with the whole house filter system.I still have the option of hooking into the city system but I will see how this goes for awhile thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
registered

rust ands sediment

If i was you i would get a price to hook into city water. Sounds like that old well is just OLD. You could then run the new city water through your filters and have outstanding water. Do you have a buddy who has a tractor with a digger on back? If so your half way to city water.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #10

rust ands sediment

Hi,

it seems to be that your whole house water filter is totally contaminated. my advise is to buy a new system. otherwise it creates a health concern for you and your family.

gelfey is offline   Reply With Quote